Green hair Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gizmo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

My tank (26litre) has long green hair algae which seems to have stem from the live rock i have had from the beginning. It is getting out of control. Is there any way to combat this?
I have 2 clown fish and 2 turbo snails both seem unphased by the growth.
Both snails even have algae growing on their shells. I do a weekly water change and have sufficient lighting but this does not seem to help.

hope you guys can help :D

hair algae

g'day mate.
nice to see another aussie on this site, Okies, from what i know it is quite good to have hair algae in your tank, from what i have read on this site it is benificial in the aspect that certain types of fish like to browse on it, all you need to do now is find out what types..I think tang's eat a small amount and they will help you keep the population down but best advice i can give you is to read what the gurus on this site tell you or see your local pet store, (hopefully they are a bit smarter than the ones i have here!!)
kell

Hi,

I found the lawnmover blennies work wonders. thanks heap!
nanci

A refugium added to your tank can harvest most of your alges for you and keep the main tank clean. What type of water are you using? If your water qualtiy is bad you will have more alge. As for what you have now you can take a toothbrush or something like that and trim it down so your hermits can graze.

Back
Top Bottom