Green hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What tests do you suggest

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm going to get a tds meter and start feeding frozen. If that doesn't stop the algae il get an ro/di but I honestly don't think the water I'm using is the problem. What's a good brand of water tests, and what tds meter should I get

hanna tds test works good for me, make sure to test before adding saltwater ( for tds )

Redsea makes good tests I believe

API has a marine algaefix, and/or try carbon dosing via Red Sea PO-NOX or vodka. Do some research. Picking it out manually is your best bet initially.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

API has a marine algaefix, and/or try carbon dosing via Red Sea PO-NOX or vodka. Do some research. Picking it out manually is your best bet initially.

why spend money on all that, all he needs is rodi water and water changes and the problem should subside

Things I learned from my tank:

- Tanks with LR less than 4-6 months old result GHA due to NO3/PO4 releases.
- Ultra powerfull lighting stimulate algae. Same for old fluo bulbs (>1year)
- Always use RODI for topoff (optional: adding trace of kalk to prevent dinos)
- Always use RODI for waterchanges. Use QUALITY SALT too. Some salts are not good.
- Find if there's any dead stuff in the tank... Sometime a big dead snail or shrimp result this temporarly.
- Is your tank overstocked?
- Also if you test NO3 or PO4 with API test kits, you'll never see any readings, use RedSea test kits or anything better than API.

If all of this doesn't work, and you have a powerfull protein skimmer, you can use NOPOX (NO3-PO4-X from RedSea). This will reduce NO3/PO4 to undetectables levels.

Stomatella snails are very good algae eaters, but algae eaters doesn't fix the problem, it just patch it as the algae are returned to the NO3/PO4 form, so the algae cycle continue.

Nopox is $20 and it takes me 6 months to use up. Api algaefix is 10 for a small bottle, it calls for tiny measured amounts 3 days apart. Of course rodi water should be used.

What is a good Ro/di system. I need one that can be hooked up to my sink for drinking water otherwise my girl friend will have a fit.

I have a spectrapure. Get the highest gph you can afford IMO. Look for one that has displays for tds in and out. Mine is hooked up to the garden hose. Hooking it up to a kitchen sink isn't ideal, rodi units take a lot of time to purify.

Ps: rodi water tastes like crap because there's no minerals like spring water. It's not like a brita water filter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a spectrapure. Get the highest gph you can afford IMO. Look for one that has displays for tds in and out. Mine is hooked up to the garden hose. Hooking it up to a kitchen sink isn't ideal, rodi units take a lot of time to purify.

I have Spectra Pure as well. Awesome unit. (Worth using their max cap filters as they last longer).

I added a quick disconnect & run it in my bathroom w/ the buckets in the tub. (NYC Apartment & only 40 gallon tank).

Also *its about balance of import / export of nutrient if phosphate is an issue along with rodi water.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415854189.257528.jpg

?

Oh well I guess she's just gonna have to be pissed off then.. Where did you get It and will it come with every thing or do I have to get the filters and holding tank and the tds meter thing seperate

http://spectrapure.com/Refurbished-90-GPD-RODI-System&filter_name=Refur

I bought this refurbished,
comes with basic filters, all lines.
I bought a quick disconnect for my sink from home depot for around $10.

Personally I use a 5 gallon bucket, once a week to mix water. I use RSCP, I like the prams, but also mixes in a couple hours.
Also fill my ato reservoir at same time.
Keeps clutter to a minimum.

*if I had to re-buy this, I would have added the TDS meeter, I'll add one eventually. I have two great hand held ones atm, as I don't go through a ton of water.

My wife was only pissed only when I stored it under the cabinet and the lines drained and trashed / soaked all her makeup and stuff....?
Lesson learned, now I have a maintenance schedule I have to adhere to... ?
I Just let her think shes picking out some fish / coral and names everything, seems to work.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415856149.828571.jpg

?

Lol I try to let her pick stuff to go in my aquarium. That usually works but everything she wants is aggressive or not reef safe then she gets even more mad when I tell her no. Anyway I found one on the spectra pure site. It's a maxpureMPDI 180GPD for $169. It's not the best one but that's about as high as my budget is for now. I would send a screen shot to give you a better idea but I don't know how.

Lol I try to let her pick stuff to go in my aquarium. That usually works but everything she wants is aggressive or not reef safe then she gets even more mad when I tell her no. Anyway I found one on the spectra pure site. It's a maxpureMPDI 180GPD for $169. It's not the best one but that's about as high as my budget is for now. I would send a screen shot to give you a better idea but I don't know how.

You could always set up another tank for the aggressive not reef safe fish she wants :)

*lol, mine wants eels and lions.. Showed her live aquaria, only issue is if I don't want something that is compatible, i cant lie anymore and say its not. But it does get her more involved.

Good luck with unit, best purchase you can make - will save you stress and cash.

?

Back
Top Bottom