Green Spotted Puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kohan Bros.

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know this is a true brackish water fish but can they be kept in complet marine set-ups with the salt around 1.23-1.25 tia

well,they can be kept at saltinties that high but they are very aggressive.Also they can only be in full strngth marine tanks when they are mature fish.

thanks i saw a cuple 3-5 inchers at the lfs aggressive he wasn't sure of the saltinty but do you know the max size of these fish i read somewhere 6in but is this correct

I've got a GSP and a Figure 8 puffer that I've had at sw levels for 6 months. They are doing great and aren't real aggressive. They even leave the snails and hermits alone!

My GSP shares a 29g with a very small snowflake moray. SG is 1.025 and the puffer is very healthy. He's about 3" right now. A 55 would be plenty of room for a GSP. They are fin nippers so you don't want to put them in with anything that can't move fast. If your LFS has them in FW, you'll want to acclimate them over a period of a couple of weeks to full salt. These fish are very hardy when kept in SW. When kept in FW, they seem to be very susceptible to ich.

thanks i was on seting upa 55sw with 3 of them maybe a small eel and 1 to 2 other fish would this work

2 in a 55gal is pushing it. They get more aggressive as they age. I've heard of ones that will not tolerate any other creature in their tank.

Kim

the 3 at the lfs are about 3in and have been in the tank together practicly their entire lives to hunt in a pack to kill the feeders they are feed

Although my practical experience with GSP's is limited to the one I have, I have read that GSP's do get more aggressive as they age. I would be careful about having more than one long term. I don't think the eel/puffer combo is going to work when the eel gets larger. I'm going to have to make other arrangements for the eel soon.

Back
Top Bottom