Green water and uv sterlizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While we're waiting for Jamroz to update us all, I have a question. I'm setting up a 10g Nano Reef and was wondering, "Is the UV Sterilizer a must have?" Is it something I should use all the time? I found 1 that's $40 and has it's own powerhead built in. My new light is on the way and I'll be adding some corals within the next couple of weeks.

Widely debated. Two general schools of thought.
1) They are the best thing since sliced bread and everyone in the world needs one!
2) Complete waste of money and energy.
I'm 90% in school 2, but I'll say that they have a function. Emergency fixes for green water and assisting ich medicine. But 24/7? Absolutely not. In a healthy and well regulated tank, they are not necessary. I am one of a few who believe they may actually kill beneficial organisms as well as algae and parasites. Ultimately it's up to you, and you'll get very strong opinions either way. But if you dcide you need one, I'd challenge you to wait a while and see how much you really need it. With proper care and quarantine, rarely will a uv-fixable issue arise. But if one does, you may be pleased to have it available.
Long winded, I know. Sorry! Lol

Widely debated. Two general schools of thought.
1) They are the best thing since sliced bread and everyone in the world needs one!
2) Complete waste of money and energy.
I'm 90% in school 2, but I'll say that they have a function. Emergency fixes for green water and assisting ich medicine. But 24/7? Absolutely not. In a healthy and well regulated tank, they are not necessary. I am one of a few who believe they may actually kill beneficial organisms as well as algae and parasites. Ultimately it's up to you, and you'll get very strong opinions either way. But if you dcide you need one, I'd challenge you to wait a while and see how much you really need it. With proper care and quarantine, rarely will a uv-fixable issue arise. But if one does, you may be pleased to have it available.
Long winded, I know. Sorry! Lol

(y):thanks::thanks:(y)

I think the one your talking about it the one I biught it also has a power head type deal on it I'm debating to run it all the time after it clears in maybe my sump because I don't want it in my tank but I may just use it to get all the green out then fix the issue that made it happen in the first place

I think I'll wait until I start to make any changes to my tank. I'm going out of town for a week (end of March) and since my system is so new, I'm going to leave it as is until I'm back. So for now my little Nano will remain unchanged (intentionally) until after Easter. Hopefully the Easter Bunny knows how to swim and will bring me some goodies for the reef. Also found a smaller unit for $25.00, that's cheap insurance if you ask me...

I'm against the constant use of UV sterilizers in a reef type setting. I would use it to clear the green water, then pull it out and rinse it, and store it.

Sounds like a good idea ... Here my progress from about 18 hours

Attachments

• image-2752834422.jpg
    image-2752834422.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 68
I also added my protein skimmer yesterday seems to be helping as well alot more visible this morning will update you guys when I get off work

Glad to hear its doing better. Have you combined these efforts with a water change? What are the water parameters?

I have not done a water change yet I did two before sterlizer and just went back to
Green so beause it's clearing up now I'm gonna do one when I get home and parameter not sure besides temp at 79 need to get my test kit still

It was horrible look at my first post

I remember now! Yeah that was pretty bad... This is the thread that go me asking if I need to run one all the time. I think I'll get one right before I start to add corals just in case, so I can have it handy if I need it.

Make sure you do a water change soon. It's not removing the algae, just killing it. So all that dead algae is still in there possibly affecting water quality. And get your test kit soon so you can find out what the cause was so you don't need to go through this again.

I agree definitely and algae bloom and a uv sterilizer knocked out one of the baddest algae blooms a lot of people on this forum had ever seen in my tank I have pics if you look through my profile you will find them.

Back
Top Bottom