Growth in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmaglione

Aquarium Advice Regular
Appologize in advance for the noob question but im having a rough day haha. My tank parameters are fine 0ppm ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, salinity is within normal recomended range, etc. I have a protien skimmer. The tank has been very healthy along with all of the creatures within it, i have yellow polyps, tangs, and a clown fish, inverts, feather duster. I have been regularly getting a thick lining of a very dark almost brown / black coating on the bottem of my sand bed. I am not sure what it is, but it doesnt look the best, so each time i disturb it and take it out. When it is disturbed (broken up) it gets stringy and someone take the form of broken up sea weed. Does anyone have a clue what it is ? Some of it sinks below the sandbed, some is filtered out, the tank is fine for a few days then after a week or so the dreaded stuff comes back covering my sandbed again. Any ideas ?

ahh found what it was, Red Slime Algae, so am i reading correctly its most likely because of the water i use as i dont have issues with lighting etc.? I do use TAP water with no filtration, i know it is someone higher in sulfates. I just fill a bucket, dump some salt and PURE Chemical detoxifier in with a Power head let it airate for 12 - 24 hours then i dump it into my display tank when everything is perfect. Think i really need an RO/DI for this, how does everyone else handle it ?

We have a good article about it in our SW articles section. There is several causes for it. Excessive nutrients from overfeeding and using tap water. I work for a water municipality so I know what`s used to create clean drinking water. Good for us humans but not for our Sw aquariums.

buy your water at walmart they have a water machine with ro water just use a buffer to bring ph up its 7 dollars for 20 gal

Back
Top Bottom