Growth on base of frogspawn?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anovack

Aquarium Advice Freak
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405093722.740688.jpg

What is this long growth on the base skeleton of my frogspawn? Is it some kind of snail like you see on snails shells sometime?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If you look to the left a little I believe that is where a new head wants to start. I think that because when my blues are on that pin prick lights up the same color as the others. Will this effect growth?

If you look to the left a little I believe that is where a new head wants to start. I think that because when my blues are on that pin prick lights up the same color as the others. Will this effect growth?

Right I mean sorry. I'm losing it...

It's a vermetid snail. They cast out a net and filter feed from the water. They can irritate stony corals but are otherwise harmless. If you accidentally stir up some detritus in the tank you will be able to see their nets as they catch the particles.

It's too small to be a vermetid. I have both in my tank. That guy is harmless, where vermetids are a nuisance.

Are you sure? Vermitid is an entire family rather than a single species. We just lump them all together and call them vermetid snails because it's easier and they are all pretty much the same.

Well, either way harmless. I'll look at the one on my hammer coral when I get off work...but they don't overwhelm and spread through the tank so I doubt it's a vermetid. Obviously isn't the spiral shelled variety if it is. Those are the worst.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's definitely a type of vermetid and they're harmless. I have ones that look exactly the same.

I've read that before but the ones in my tank even near all my sps have no effect :)

Back
Top Bottom