Hair Algae?!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brisc0

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, I noticed a sprig a couple weeks ago and thought nothing of it, and now its starting to get a little too close for comfort. I am noticing little bits of hair algae throughout the tank. Where is the fuel? I have 0 Nitrate, .03 PO4 if that, and feed scarely. My bioload is minimal as well. I use RO/DI for top off. The RO/DI is the only culprit I can think of, my filters just hit the 6 mo mark and although I think they could keep on trucking I just made up my first reservior from the new filters. Any insight out there by chance? Perhaps its from my recent sump/fuge upgrade?

Oh, and on a side observation, when I switched the fuge I ditched all my calurpa and went 100% chaetomorph. It came as a tightly packed ball of green brillo looking algae but is now unraveled and is twice the size of a basketball. I am not very well versed with it, is this normal, and do I just cut it back down to a small size again?

0 nitrates doesn't necessarily mean no nitrate. It could mean the aglae are consuming it. If you didn;t have the hair algae before getting rid of the caulerpa it may mean that the chaeto cant keep up, being a fine leaf type of algae. Maybe try intoducing more caulerpa or maybe a Kole Tang. JMO

Back
Top Bottom