hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

packfan2204

Aquarium Advice Activist
how does hair algae appear all of a sudden after three years with no problems and no sign of phosphates? I havent added anything new for awhile, and it was kinda like it took over my tank in one nite.

One night sounds kind of quick so there must be something feeding the algae bloom. Phosphates are tricky to test for because as they are produced they are quickly consumed by the algae, thus your test reads 0. Have you tested for nitrates or could your bulbs be due for a changing? Are you using tap water for topoffs/changes?

i've been using a phosphate sponge lately, my nitrates are 5, i just did a 10 gallon water change, and the bulbs are a month old

Something may have died in the tank...Or, maybe like me you had someone 'do you a favor' and feed the tank. My daughter decided one morning to feed one of my tanks..The fish looked hungry. Wouldn't have known if I had not asked..Wifes guilty of that a couple times too..

packfan2204 said:
i just did a 10 gallon water change

If you are sure there is nothing in the tank causing the algae bloom it has to be coming from the water. You didn't say if you are using tapwater.

Maybe? I guess you don't have any hermits. They usually eat anything before it gets a chance to foul the tank.

i do have hermit crabs. I'm not worried about any of the algae except the hair algae, that stuff just seems to never go away.

Back
Top Bottom