hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ewelch

Aquarium Advice Regular
is there anything that will eat hair algae. I have controlled my phosphates and I still have existing algae that just wont go away. I cut back the lighting time as well. Still there.

I`ve found out that if you take it out when you do PWC`s and control excessive nutrients it will slowly fade out. I ussually rubberband a tooth brush to the end of my syphon hose and gently scrub the rock and draw the algea out with the water from the pwc. Just make sure there is no fuel.

I have been a little too busy and have not maintained my tank well over the past 6 months or so... during which I developed a severe problem with red hair algae, some cyano also. I decided to try an ebay purchase "red mangrove pods", which are little plants I put in my sump. I put them in less than 36 hours ago, and I guarantee that my red hair algae is now 90 percent gone. I was astounded when I looked at the tank just now. Thought they might work, but expected it to take more time. It seems like a miracle, really.

Get some turbo snails, and vaccum it out when you do water changes with a peice of air hose.....a toothbrush sure sounds like a good idea too!

Turbo snails work the best though, one or two can clean an entire rock in a day or so...even the stuff you cant pull off!

BTW, I dont think the mangroves did anything that fast! Just my opinion, I am from where they grow wild!

So I hear re: the mangroves, but I've looked at that hair algae for quite a while now and didn't change anything else. Who knows?

Astreas. I bought about 40 of them lil buggers for a $1 a piece at a LFS last week end. They have put a nice dent in my algea. If you have long strands of it you'll need to physically pull those off. Most snails won't touch the big stuff. They have done a pretty decent job of cleaning up the back of my tank which is the only spot I have unwanted algea growth. Do note that any snail will strip mine your LR of its pretty coraline algea though. They eat whatever. I also re introduced some scarlet and blue leg crabs. I had forgotten my 'clean up crew' had dwindled to near zero. Proof positive that they are a important part of the cycle of life in our tanks.

Astreas?...as in astrea starfish?.......I sure hope he doesnt have any zoanthids because they will eat more than hair algae.

As far as snails stripping coralline.......I have 20 turbos in my 10 gal and extensive new coralline growth....the may eat a little of it, but they dont strip it!

Astrea as in astrea snail, it is asterina starfish you are thinking about.

Back
Top Bottom