Hair algae in refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
So im having a tonnof hair algae growing in my redugium, but almost none in my display. Im assuming its just a growing pain from recently setting up my tank, but should I take action to remove it?

What would be the best type of invert to get to eat itnoff the glass?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd leave it in the fuge. The fact that it's growing there and not the DT is great.
I have found, after a recent algae battle, that certain hermit crabs are great; dwarf blue leg, scarlet, electric orange. Avoid dwarf red leg as I've found them to be snail eaters.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Fuges are supposed to be ugly :p, sounds line yours is doing exactly what you want it to do.

Mine is uglier than most and has become a death trap for the crickets that keep getting in my house somehow. Don't know how they all end up in there, but at least they stop making noise :D

Sounds good though, I guess I will just ignore it.

Mine is uglier than most and has become a death trap for the crickets that keep getting in my house somehow. Don't know how they all end up in there, but at least they stop making noise :D

Sounds good though, I guess I will just ignore it.

Mine gets full of moths and has a pasta strainer as the 'fuge' section. Hope that makes you feel better about how its looking!

Hi Mebbid.
If it's really annoying you then you could dose with Excel or Glut, slowly increasing the dosage. My main tank had it, and black beard too, Excel rid it in a few weeks and it's not come back.
My refuge tank is not pretty pretty, just a huge ball of Java Moss and bare bottomed, but I wouldn't be happy with algae in it.

Hi Mebbid.
If it's really annoying you then you could dose with Excel or Glut, slowly increasing the dosage. My main tank had it, and black beard too, Excel rid it in a few weeks and it's not come back.
My refuge tank is not pretty pretty, just a huge ball of Java Moss and bare bottomed, but I wouldn't be happy with algae in it.

I tried to start a discussion a while back on dosing glut but it wasnt too well received. Not sure how it would act with my corals since they live because of a symbiotic type of algae. This is a salt water tank :)

mine has plenty... but the DT is clean.. when it gets long I grab a hand full and "export" it right into the trash ......mine's a moth trap as well...

Oh sorry Mebbid. I didn't realise your tank was salt water. I have no knowledge of Glut on corals etc. I use it very successfully in a fresh tropical tank. Best of luck though.

Well, there you go. That bulb is 5000k so you should not be surprised if your hair algae loves it. I would leave the hair algae alone cause it's a natural biological filter for your nitrate and phosphate.

I actually managed to get 6500k cfls. Im sure the algae is growing because I leave the lights on 24/7.

Do you think you will get more benefit than the side effect if you leave it on 24/7?
Well, before I started doing that I had issues with my caulerpa going sexual. Since I started it hasn't given me any issues and has kept my nitrates at 0. Its been over a year and a half now.

If you fancy getting rid of the ugly hair algae just buy some prettier macro algae and slide it in.

I've indirectly turned my refugium into a 2nd display tank... Now home to a Bat fish, Chromis and a Blenny. :)

Most Cauliper goes sexual when you fiddle too much, I've got 4 diff species on reverse lighting (12hours) all same temp, placement, salinity level etc etc... My belief is it's about stability.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom