Hair Algae or Bryposis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brad.Sedore

Aquarium Advice FINatic
im trying to figure out if i have an outbreak of hair algae or bryposis . first of all does hair algae have defined stock? .. does hair algae usually take over glass?

ive tried to lower my lighting i have zero phosphates and still cant figure out what is going on with this algae? the turbos wont touch it... they dont want it so is it possible that i have misidentified my algae?

-Brad

Any chance you can get a pic? Hair algae looks a lot different than Bryopsis.

theres a couple kinds in here

img_941880_0_ada8dedd11aec5d6127c02f628cea2d0.jpg

img_941880_1_2ba5fc123da915313d728f41fa50ce0a.jpg

img_941880_2_9e528e80e7bdb3715b39b935d2786fee.jpg

img_941880_3_74f126d4530bb3d86791919d9de639e9.jpg

img_941880_4_798f9672561ecd74de43be014e694a51.jpg

anyone?

-Brad

Hmmm, I can see you confusion (at least from the pic I am seeing), the bubbles are what you are thinking about. The blurry pic is tough to see (1st pic). I'll have to digress to the experts for that one. The 2nd pic is another macro algae (still a little toug to see from the pic). 3rd, feather dusters, unless there is something I'm missing. 4th, I see some shells, so I don't know what I'm supposed to be seeing (eyesight is getting bad in my old age...sorry).
Last pic, nice scaping!

in pic 3 i was trying to take a shot of the glass so you can see the algae on there

in pic 4 i am talking about the neon green stuff on the rock in the foreground

-Brad

The first pic looks like Hair algea. Here are some pics of what each looks like.

Hair algea
hairalgae.jpg

Bryopsis
bryopsis.jpg

Pic three looks like the beginnings of coraline...the lime green color.

Pic 1 looks like it could be bryopsis. If the algae looks feathery and has a defined stalk it probably is bryopsis. Get it out as best you can and you will never be rid of it. It is a very tough algae to get rid of. The pics that Mike provided are what I was going to link you to.

definitly has a defined stock... man that sucks.. how negitivly does it affect corals... or is it just an eye sore?

any ideas on pic 2. it was on the rock when i got it it feels wirey and has grown.

any ideas on how to help the algae problem... its too slippery to rip out with my hand... could i put it out of light and still keep the shrooms alive?

-Brad

ive done that all except add a fuge... im at the point of just throwing this live rock out... and starting new.. there is no reason for this stuff to be growing. my lighting is proper my phosphates are 0 my trates are 0.. its growth has really slowed down but definitly hasent stop...

newest addition... bubble algae.... frustration building.. o well i guess it will be worth it in the end

-Brad

edit: is adding a phosphate filter an option with a reef tank... im willing to spend a little money to keep this crap under control... if so what do i need to do this.

Back
Top Bottom