Hair algae problem!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you have a big enough protein skimmer (2x your water volume rated) you can dose NOPOX (quality carbon dosing). Follow the daily doses and you'll get rid of all nitrates and phosphates (near zero).

This is supposed to be a temporary fix, but I use it as a normal daily maintenance fix, I feed a lot my corals, and it works great ! NEVER OVERDOSE.

I have the same issue with green hair algae on my 14 Biocube with stock lights. Cleaning Crew (1 medium sized emerald crab, 7 hermits) can not keep up with the growth.
Water parameters are fine.
Running all stock lights for 8hrs (both blue and white)
I have only 2 fish. Feed them 1 in 2 days. I'm not running a skimmer but change my filter with charcoal every 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It could be rocks leeching crap... I have this problem now in my reef, after bleaching the rocks... GHA everywhere...

Astrea snails are helping a lot. Dosing NOPOX do nothing anymore with me, the levels are all undetectable, added GFO, dosing nopox...

This is the rocks wich leech something, so algae feed on the crap, and not the bacteria combined with NOPOX...

Any Pictures ?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419890481.979907.jpg
Here's one. I'm trying to starve crabs by giving little food to my fish and anemone. so crabs start eating it. It's so ridiculous it even grows on their shells.

I don't think the crabs are going to eat this. After it gets a certain length nothing will touch it except for maybe a fighting conch and a sea hair for sure.

I finally took my rocks out and left them in a dark bucket with a pump and a jet and kept it covered for a few weeks.

I ended up pulling all the rocks and scraping them with a brush. It took me 2 hours... Looks like I got 95% of it.

Update: started using purigen, and got 6 more hermits. Problem solved

Sorry for taking forever for the reply. Still having an algae issue but I believe I'm getting it under control. I've been pulling as much out as possible very week with my water changes. Also been dosing ultimate aquacares phosphate remover and nitrate remover. Maybe get a few more hermits when they are available to keep it short and down if anything or some algae eating fish

Back
Top Bottom