Hair algae problem!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foskett96

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi I've had my saltwater reef up and running for about 2 years now (had another reef tank for a year before this one) it's a 30g tank and houses one occelaris clownfish, a hermit crab, various corals and an anemone. For a while now I've had a hair algae problem and no matter what I've tried it won't go away. I feed only once every two days, I've been to stores and they have recommended things like algaefix which hasn't worked.
The parameters are:
PH - 7.9
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- less then 5ppm
Alkalinity- 7.3
Calcium - 370
Magnesium - 1300
Phosphate - 0.25 (cannot get this lower have tried phosphate removers)
I use RO water for top ups as well. The lights are on for only about 5-6 hours a day. Can't figure out what is causing it :/
Thanks, help is very appreciated. Also sorry not sure if this is the right section to post this is

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The ro water is causing it. It is coming in with nitrates and such just like mine does. It is ro/di water that has nothing in it. I have the same issue in my tank as my ro/di is down.

I believe the lighting I have is t5 the bulbs were last changed about 8 months ago

There's 1 blue (cannot see the K rating without taking it out) and 2 whites (10 000K each)

First you need to start using ro/di for both salt water and top off and I suggest to have 2 or 3 of blue and just 1 white. Have the blue for 10 hrs and start using white only for 5 hours after algae is under control.

Is the white not as good?

Alright then cool :) so I'll just use the blue then for a bit :) hopefully this works

Yea the tank does have a skimmer on it. I did a water change this morning should i discontinued the use of the algaefix?? Also will the corals be alright with just the blue light?? And generally how long does it take for the algae to die off?

Alright will try that :)
And happy to discontinue the algaefix as since I've started using it the corals haven't really been as happy

Thanks a lot. Hope this brings my passion back to saltwater was my favourite tank until all this hair algae came. Will keep you posted

I just started getting over the same problem recently. An algae problem led me to reduce feeding to 1 time per week. Whites were shut off. Nitrates and phosphate were at 0 but I still had a huge algae problem. I even put half my rocks in a curing bucket with no lights. After months there was still algae.
I believe the reduced feeding and lights led to my coral health issues.
All the other things only help prevent NEW algae from growing but won't get rid of algae you already have.

Only 1 thing worked to kill the algae. A hearty clean up crew of mostly hermits. They have been destroying the algae and just today I put all the rocks back in the DT. I have 80 crabs now in my 110 gal tank. Draft blue leg, electric orange and scarlet hermits are great at algae control.

Check my thread in this group called "Grrrr green hair algae " or something like that.

I just started getting over the same problem recently. An algae problem led me to reduce feeding to 1 time per week. Whites were shut off. Nitrates and phosphate were at 0 but I still had a huge algae problem. I even put half my rocks in a curing bucket with no lights. After months there was still algae.
I believe the reduced feeding and lights led to my coral health issues.
All the other things only help prevent NEW algae from growing but won't get rid of algae you already have.

Only 1 thing worked to kill the algae. A hearty clean up crew of mostly hermits. They have been destroying the algae and just today I put all the rocks back in the DT. I have 80 crabs now in my 110 gal tank. Draft blue leg, electric orange and scarlet hermits are great at algae control.

Check my thread in this group called "Grrrr green hair algae " or something like that.

I have read that those hermits are good for hair algae but I have never seen them for sale in australia :/

Back
Top Bottom