Hair algea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gozetec02

Aquarium Advice Activist
Some of you know i am battling hair algea and we are at a stand still but its slowly getting worse I remove as much as I can but it ends up breaking apart and goes everywhere. What creatures will consume this stuff.

Hair algea advice

Hi i just read you question and i had the same problem what i did was get turbo snails 5 of them and they mowed through it so fast it was amazing! You can have 1 cleaner per gallon and be ok is what i was told let me know how it goes it worked miracles for me!! Becka

Snails and crabs will eat it, but you can't let it get long
'rip it off with your finges and they should eat the rest. Make sure that you stop your feeding for a few days too, this will force them to look for other sources of food, If your feeding them at the same time as trying to rid the tank of hair algae, you will lose. Also, reduce the lighting for the time it takes to get rid of it. If it is on live rock that has no corals on it, turn it upside down, this will kill the algae as it needs light to survive. Boost up your water flow, this helps. Other critters that help a lot if the algae is not too long, lawnmower blennys, they are great and fun to watch when they attack the hair algae, blue legged hermit crabs work to, but REMEMBER not to feed your tank while trying to rid it of hair algae. The other solution that works too is to add a "good" macroalgae into the tank, check my other recent posts about herringbone algae. Good algaes will compete for the nutrients in the tank. That combined with your cleanup crew and less feeding should clear it up within a week or 2. good luck.

Actinics would be as bad for the anem as turning the lights off...almost as bad anyway. Urchins will eat hair algae, Rabbit fish love it..as was suggested, turbo snails (they are cold water snails and dont live long though.)

Keep in mind..they are bandaids. The mask the real problem that caused the hair algae and do nothing to solve it.

By the way...I have a small case of hair algae right now too, so I know exactly what you mean.

For general algae control, I would suggest Emerald Crabs as a good starting place. They stay on the rocks and are eating machines! :wink:

Turbo snails are cold water snails? I never knew that. When you say "They don't last long", what time frame are you thinking of? Months? Weeks?

Depends on the exact species. In that regard the only one some find a problem with is Turbo fluctuosa (Mexico). There are however many species of Turbinidae that would do just fine. Several Australian species would do quite well. Personally I've never had an issue with any of them though but YMMV.

Cheers
Steve

I am also battling hair algae and I am keeping my lights off for a few days in hopes the algae will die. I see it as a few cloudy days with no sunlight(I hope)

what about your water parameters?

phosphate levels

water flow

...i have to clean my glass and select areas nearly daily to keep the build-up low.

the snails and hermits eat it up though but it almost seems like you couldn't have enough of them.

Back
Top Bottom