Hairlike white strands...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noteworthy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello!

Just a question about my tank. I have a 125 gallon tank that you have probably seen pics on my 125 log post. Recently there have been white strands of something that looks like 'thick hair'. I have no idea what this is but it is all over ALL of my live rock. Only on the rock.

Any clues?

I have some dark brown forming on my new pvc closed loops but the sand and rocks are pretty clean.

I use RODI water and do a change of 30 gallons once a month. Nitrates are around 15ppm. Ammonia/Nitrite are at zero. Calcium was at 350. I dosed with kents liquid calcium three capfuls over a few days.. which equals about 2-3 ounces I believe. I need about 9 onces to bring the calcium up to 415.

Is this a result of the calcium dosing?

Do you have any kind of sand sifting fish or invert such as a wrasse or sand star? I used to have an eel who would always kick up sand and things like that would pop up sometimes. It could also be a worm of some kind.

HTH

Can you get a pic. Sounds like it could be spaghetti worm (I think that's it)?

Holy Cow that made me sick to my stomach.. You were all over with that camera :)
What I did make out did not look like the Spa worm, just looks like crap on the LR. Siphon it out the next time you do a water change. Some wrasses do make a cacoon for sleeping but that looks more like a cob web on the LR.

Yeah, either that or hair. Does it retract at all, or just flow all the time?

Thanks for the tour, that was pretty awesome!

Looks like normal silt on the rocks to me and a good cleaning/blowing off with a baster or something would get rid of it. Nice tank. :)

Thanks guys. Sorry I was moving so fast.

1 minute 20 seconds into video.. round thing on the rock that retracts when it sees my hand or body around the tank. Is it a feather duster?

I had a spaghetti work that snuck in from a LR - the tentacles/feelers/whatever were a lot thinner than that, and did flop around in the current, they did more of a streatching outward, slowly, then retracting whenever I grabbed a camera.

That makes me wonder - do cameras with auto-focus use some sort of IR light that fish react to? Every time I get my camera out, the fish all act like I've got a net...

just thought i would let u know, i had that stuff on a few of my lr's and i just scrubed it off with a toothbrush during a water change. hasnt been back since....

Back
Top Bottom