Hairline algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Readingexcalibur

Aquarium Advice Addict
a while back I was forced to do a tap/salt mix in an emergency. A few weeks following, I had a breakout of hairline (phosphates I'm assuming). Now after adding a sump, phosban reactor, and protein skimmer, all of the hairline is turning brown. It is breaking up and looks horrible in my tank.

Is this start of the hairline going away, or do I have other problems?

Are there any fish or CUC in the tank. Since phosphates will come from waste and food , and if you just added a skimmer then u should notice a big change I did , if I'd say what ever you had growing has been deprived of food and is died.

There is a small clean up crew. A few turbos, few nasarines, few blue legs, and an emerald crab. In a 28 gallon. There is still hairline in the tank, but it seems the top layers have be dieing off. I have no idea how to get rid of hairline when you get it. I'm guessing better water quality and it'll fix itself?

Sounds like it's dying off try to vacuum off what you can, it will release all the junk back into you tank as it decays

You have yourself a receeding hairline....algae... vacuum out as much of it as you can. I didn't get to my hair algae outbreak die off quick enough and it fueled a snot algae outbreak in my tank right afterwards.

I had a hair algae outbreak also but it seems to be in control now.

I remember I left the light off longer and my emerald crab and turbos went to town.

I just siphon it out while I cut and also pull... If you can you can also cut light back some

Yeah, this stuff is goes everywhere quick when you move the water the wrong way. Haha thanks everyone! I'll keep working with it.

Back
Top Bottom