Half sand half crushed coral?? can i do it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattt6511

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello i have 15lbs of crushed coral in my 29 gallon fish only tank, can i mix in like 20 lbs of sand with that to get that nicer sand look?? thanks

Shouldn't have a problem mixing the two together, but depending on how deep that 15 pounds of crushed coral is 20 pounds of sand may not cover it or give you the desired affect I think that you are looking for. What do you want? The majority of the bottom sand with maybe some cc in it. You may have to take out a couple pounds of cc to get that affect or put in more sand. A buddy of mine took his tank and did it 50/50 looks very cool, but its a 150 so each section has 3 feet.

They say that if you cover CC with sand over time it will just work its way up to the surface? CC traps waste and over time it breaks down into nitrates..... Toss the CC and go with all sand.

As someone who has both one time or another I agree with seaham toss the cc and go with all sand.When I changed tanks you would be suprised the crap that was trapped in that CC. I`mm glad I tossed it and went sand only

The finer sand particles will, in time work their way to the bottom of the sand bed. So you will have all the fine stuff on the bottom, and all the bigger particles on the top.

Back
Top Bottom