Hammer Coral Receeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yaksplat

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a hammer coral that's about a month old and the a section of die-off is slowly propagating. All of my other LPS are doing great with visible new growth. Should I just keep treating the hammer with Kent Tech-D ?

thanks in advance
Jim

Is the flesh visibley necrosing or just receding from the skelaton? Most often recessions without necrosis are environmental and often either from coral aggression or tank chemistry.

If a bacterial infection I would make sure a majority of the necrosed area is syphoned off and dose the tank with a liq marine vitamin high in Vitamin C. I would also do a few extra water changes. The dip may help but I find with simple bacterial problems the water changes and vitamin usually do the trick and stress the coral the least.

Cheers
Steve

definitely necrosis

I syphoned and changed some water. I still have to get a supplement. But we'll see how it turns out.

thanks

yaksplat said:
definitely necrosis

I syphoned and changed some water. I still have to get a supplement
Be sure to dose twice the recommended amount of vitamin for the tanks actual water volume daily for one week. Skimming should be fine but be sure to remove any carbon/resin products. You should notice an improvement in a few days with the water changes as well but syphoning out any necrosis will help slow the spread.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom