Hand sanitizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hocky puck

Aquarium Advice Freak
I work on an ambulance constantly when I get done a call I use hand sanitizer do you think this would have any effects on tank?

Hocky puck said:
I work on an ambulance constantly when I get done a call I use hand sanitizer do you think this would have any effects on tank?

Hi!

I'm a fire chief and use that stuff often also. When I get home and before I do anything with my tanks I wash my hands with organic type soap.

Since hand sanitizer is just an alcohol base that evaporates very quickly, I doubt that it would have any effect unless you were using immediately prior to sticking your hands in the tank. That said however, as Convict pointed out, its always good to wash your hands with soap prior to putting them in the tank.

Ah but antibacterial soap can cause issues too. I always try to wait a few after washing before messing with the tank.

I wash my hands and then take extra time to thoroughly rinse them, usually about twice as long to rinse as it takes to wash with soap and water. If I'm feeling particularly paranoid about it I'll rinse my hands in RODI water.

On this subject I had an incident, I was installing a new powerhead in my tank and to make a long story short I put sunblock on my daughter and a little while later (without washing my hands) put my hands in the tank and killed half my fish. It was a bad experience and taught me a lesson. I was able to get them to a hospital tank, but it was too late for a couple. Just thought i would share my mistake.

Yes, we always need to be careful. It drives my gf nuts, but on water change day I don't shower before the task is done because of the perfumes in shampoos and body washes.

Sniperhank said:
Yes, we always need to be careful. It drives my gf nuts, but on water change day I don't shower before the task is done because of the perfumes in shampoos and body washes.

Totally agree and that makes perfect sense. Drives my wife crazy also.

Back
Top Bottom