has any one ever used this light??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joseramentol

Aquarium Advice Activist
sorry i know there is already a thread about lights i just cant seem to find it, i want to invest in a better more powerfull light than the 1 i have right now since i have a solarmax 48watt t5 light but i want to do every type of coral and i heard thats only good for soft

i was going through the internet and ran into this light and for the price it seems 2 good 2 be true so i was wondering if any1 can give me info on it from experience or from what they have heard

Odyssea Metal Halide Pendant

I've never owned any odyssea lights, but I have read up and been told about them that though they will work over SW tanks, they are kinda cheaply made and have rusted for some people. Odyssea lights are more commonly used above FW tanks.

I have used an odyssea 250w metal halide light, and I reccomend them , for the money they are hard to beat, just look at it like a fixer-upper and you will have a great light. I bought my fixture then found a cheap used icecap ballast when I had a little extra money, then put a Phoenix 14000k bulb in there, and I'd say the light was as good as any you could buy, for about half the money and not having to put out a large chunk of cash out at one time.
I would say that the odyssea bulbs are kinda cheap, and not really close to their labeled color. So I would use a different bulb or get an odyssea 20000k bulb because the odyssea 15000k bulb looks about like an 7000-10000k bulb ,very yellow, but other than that they work, just not as pleasing to the eye as the higher priced bulbs are.

I have used an odyssea 250w metal halide light, and I reccomend them , for the money they are hard to beat, just look at it like a fixer-upper and you will have a great light. I bought my fixture then found a cheap used icecap ballast when I had a little extra money, then put a Phoenix 14000k bulb in there, and I'd say the light was as good as any you could buy, for about half the money and not having to put out a large chunk of cash out at one time.
I would say that the odyssea bulbs are kinda cheap, and not really close to their labeled color. So I would use a different bulb or get an odyssea 20000k bulb because the odyssea 15000k bulb looks about like an 7000-10000k bulb ,very yellow, but other than that they work, just not as pleasing to the eye as the higher priced bulbs are.

ive been doing my research in youtube and every1 seems to be very happy with them except for the color of the bulbs how you mentioned and also the little cooling fan but those 2 things to me is no big deal.
also would you happen to know which would be better for a 30 gallon reef tank if i should go with the 24" 198watt or the 24" 298 watt

which would be better for a 30 gallon reef tank if i should go with the 24" 198watt or the 24" 298 watt???

joseramentol said:
sorry i know there is already a thread about lights i just cant seem to find it, i want to invest in a better more powerfull light than the 1 i have right now since i have a solarmax 48watt t5 light but i want to do every type of coral and i heard thats only good for soft

i was going through the internet and ran into this light and for the price it seems 2 good 2 be true so i was wondering if any1 can give me info on it from experience or from what they have heard

Odyssea Metal Halide Pendant

I also use the odessea fixture 250w i will say +1 on upgrading the bulb i also went with the phoenix 14k other than the bulb i am happy with the fixture using for 5 years now on sps dominant i did read that their ballasts on the newer fixtures are better now use the ballast it came with

I had the 346w adv plus, I reccomend that, it's worth $30 for two more t5ho, I think especially for a smaller tank so you could run just the t5ho's for a while before and after the mh to keep the temp of your tank down, that 250w halide is going to really heat up that tank, you are going to have to run fans blowing between the light and the water surface.
I had mine on a 47g column tank and my tank would go from 78 to 84 some days before I put a couple 120mm computer fans blowing on the water surface. Then that in turn really cranks up evaporation, I was topping off about 2 gallons a day.
Just some things to think about. I would get the 346w , because even sps would be fine running say the 4 t5ho's like 12hrs a day and only running the halide like 4-6 hours a day. And you could tune the color you want your tank to be with more t5 bulbs.

Edit*
I would either do the 198w or the 346w. Due to heat issues stated above. If I got the 198w I would run it all the time and see how everything does, or of you got the 346w I would run it with just the t5ho's most of the day or that halide will heat your tank big time, so no 298w.

Back
Top Bottom