Has anyone ever been stung by a lion fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

canonxsi79

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had like four lion fish but I have been lucky so far not to get stung by one please share your experience.

My friend was stung his hand swelled up and he said it was a slow and long pain he was alright after couple days cobalt blue(spider) are worse that's for sure and those last about 3-4 days

Patrick93 said:
My friend was stung his hand swelled up and he said it was a slow and long pain he was alright after couple days cobalt blue(spider) are worse that's for sure and those last about 3-4 days

Yeah i know quite a few people who have been stung. I worked in a fish store for years and i would rather get stung any day from a lionfish rather than stabbed by a foxface. Foxface should be feared way more and its funny because people dont even comprehend they are venemous, like the teenager who came into the store one day and stuck his hand into the foxface tank messing with the fish, all we heard was the screaming. I still remember the look on his face when i told him he might not live. I know im evil >:D

Needless to say hes not permitted in the store any longer.

I've been stabbed many times by Ariidae species, I imagine the wound is similar in scope. I find it mainly depends on where you get jabbed. Fingertips are the worst.

like the teenager who came into the store one day and stuck his hand into the foxface tank messing with the fish, all we heard was the screaming. I still remember the look on his face when i told him he might not live. I know im evil >:D

Nice! :ROFLMAO:

Schism said:
Yeah i know quite a few people who have been stung. I worked in a fish store for years and i would rather get stung any day from a lionfish rather than stabbed by a foxface. Foxface should be feared way more and its funny because people dont even comprehend they are venemous, like the teenager who came into the store one day and stuck his hand into the foxface tank messing with the fish, all we heard was the screaming. I still remember the look on his face when i told him he might not live. I know im evil >:D

Really???? How bad is it an what are the effects... I am a teenager who owns a foxface... Lol

Lol thats my point exactly, you didnt even know did you? Lol

The pain is compared to a bad wasp sting however if you are allergic to the venom it can be deadly serious. And you wont know till you get stung so try to avoid those spines lol. It can easily turn into a trip to the hospital even if only for precaution. Usually you will learn the second time stung whether or not your allergic. It can cause the same kinds of breather problems etc. as compared to someone being stung by a bee who is allergic to bees.

If you couldnt get help in time you might be outta luck if your airways closed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hahah i knew they were venomous, but i didnt know how bad. I heard it was like a bee sting and im not allergic so i got him, hes super cool.

I hope i dont get stung!! :D

Lol well i almost got stung once but thats it, usually if i see them spines up and hes in a real aggressive posture i wont even put my hand in the tank till they calm down. I know a few people who are allergic and had some bad reactions, not life threating since medical attention was sought in time but im sure the foxface has possibly claimed a life at some point, i personally know of no one besides the possibility of it happening.

I just consider them slightly more dangerous because people are unaware. Most however know not to go near a lionfishs spines.

Wow I wasn't aware that a fox face was dangerous however my yellow tang stab me with his spike at the end of it's tail. I remember he had a little rich on him I was trying to get him out of the tank but he was super fast so I grab his [mod edit] with my hand and he got me in my thumb. I left a blood trail in the tank and my leopard sharks went crazy for two hours lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another fish that hurts ALOT are eels. I've been nailed by my 1.5 foot black edge moray. Not venomous but it sure hurts. Probably the most pain I've ever felt and I've had the tip of my toe almost cut off and ten stitched back on lol. Here's a pic of the eel bite while it was scabbed.

Here. It's still numb under the big gash. I can't feel some of my finger ad it happened about a month ago. Lol

Attachments

• image-798757297.jpg
    image-798757297.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 110
  • image-3244253661.jpg
    image-3244253661.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 141
He's awesome though. I think it's worth keeping a lot of the so called "dangerous" fish just because of how awesome they are. As long as you follow the proper safety guidelines you'll be fine :).

crister13 said:
Here. It's still numb under the big gash. I can't feel some of my finger ad it happened about a month ago. Lol

Wow thats insane!! Earl is kinda a jerk! Lol

How do you play cod with that finger??? :p

I had friend get stung pretty bad when he was working on a big tank. Took about 6 months before he could use his hand again

Venomous stings can be different depending on the person, allergic reaction, amount of envenomation, and age of the animal (young animals will expunge in greater amounts). I've seen people literally act like nothing has happened and others whom had major complications such as mycobacterium infections...not fun. The rule of thumb is always to submerge that body part in as hot as water as you can stand (non-scalding) without burning yourself since the proteins are of heat-labile characteristics and, of course, apply pressure to minimize bleeding. Some of the actual symptoms range from mild localized pain, nausia, and fever to intense pain, vomiting, edema (swelling via excessive fluid due to trauma), cardiovascular complications, etc. All symptoms advance in allergic reactions. it would be smart to visit the E.R. after such an incident since spines may break into the wound during an event or other complications.

Back
Top Bottom