Haven't been around in a while...tank pretty much crashed. Built a whole new system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phranque

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, title pretty much says it all. I've been really busy at work this summer, so the maintenance on the 28 nano seriously suffered. On top of that, I got an infestation of these tiny little black snails that I couldn't get rid of for the life of me..... no matter how many I picked out, they were back in force within a week. I think their quick life cycle just overwhelmed my system, because it didn't matter how many water changes I did, I couldn't get the parameters in check. So, I went and did the next best thing...... I finally got some time & broke down and built a full sump system in the basement to recover what I could.

The bottom tank is a 55 split into 2 chambers, the top right is a 29 which is the remote refugium (chaeto & maybe some mangroves coming soon), and the top left (custom 25g wide I picked up used) is my "recovery" tank.... later to be the frag tank. Once this is established & I get the 28 cleaned out properly, I'll drill it & tie it into this system. I know it's awfully big for just running a 28 nano :lol:, but my end-game was to build it big enough to eventually run my 150 I have sitting in the basement, hence the extra shelf room to the right of the 55..... I can drain it, slide it out, and drill it for a larger external pump at a later time.

Surprisingly, when I started tearing into the 28, I actually had a lot more clinging to life than I expected. I did lose some nice pieces of coral, but I think most will make a nice recovery.

Attachments

• Sump 1.jpg
    Sump 1.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 101
  • Sump 2.jpg
    Sump 2.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom