HD sand good for DSB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zenn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just realized i dont' know if the aragonite sand people are finding at Home Depots across the country is good for a DSB? What's the general conscensus on that? Is the grain diameter small enough for a DSB?

just to add to this further:

how much of a difference in quality will i see from a HD aragonite sand mixed with aragmax then just a 100% aragmax DSB?

The main difference is you'll see your average price per pound skyrocket fairly quickly. Go with the home depot aragonite.

yeah, me neither. I tried basically every Concret and gravel/sand place too in the area. Wal-mart had a fine Garden Bascis sand but it failed the vinegar test :( I called target too...nothing. I tried getting Fish World and Fish Store to price match....to which Fish World was the only one to actully lower the price. And even then, they only dropped the price to $24.50 plus tax. This wasn't a good enough deal either as Doctors Foster and Smith will ship it to my door for 22.5 a bag. So i went with them. I've decided against the DSB for now. Just going with 2" in the main and a DSB in the fuge. I hear the DSB in the fuge isn't really going to do much but hey, it's easy to create one since the fuge is smaller. Now i just need to find some Chaeto. I'll probably order 50/50 mix of gulf & keys rock from liverocks.com in a couple of weeks. Then I'll have approx. 130 lbs of Fiji, base, gulf & keys rock. So i've figured out what i'm doing at least for now. Thanks for the help guys.

Back
Top Bottom