Healthy color of sebae anemone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know there are color variations as with anything, but I've been told different stories. I've been told they are healty if they are real white with nice colored tips and but I've also been told that if they are real white it's because they are bleeched from being stressed. Do I want a more yellow/brown color or white?

I know they should be inflated and no damage to the foot etc...

I believe they should be an off white color. When I got mine, it was white when I got it but over time turned a creamy color. Not white but, not brown either, if that makes sense.

If the anemone is pure white, it means the zooxanthellae has left it. The zooxanthellae algae provides the anemone with much of its nutrition. I have seen many sebae's with an off-white coloration.

sebae

Here is a picture of the one I had. It seemed pretty healthy. I lost it when I had to move it from a rock. I thought I had done a good job of moving it without hurting it but, it declined right after the move so... guess I messed it up. :(

I have a pic of my sebae anemone in my gallery if that helps. It's looked this way for months and has only gotten bigger.

I don't know of any "white" anemones for the hobby, that one would consider healthy when it is white. Many will not regain their zooxanthellae and are doomed to die, but others, under the right conditions, will turn to their tan/brown color as they recover.

Back
Top Bottom