Heater problem... ugh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pain Devine

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I finally got my equipment from www.drsfostersmith.com
The heater I ordered was this one:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...tid=8172&Ne=40000&R=13622&Nao=18&N=2004+22787

I got the 200watt version

If you look at it, it clearly says "For fresh or Marine Use" and in fact, on the outside of the box it says "Safe and reliable in both fresh and salt water" but once I opened it up, I found the instructions. At the very top, the first thing it says is "For use in freshwater environments only!"

I dunno what to do!

stainless steel can be corroded by the saltwater. I only know of titanium and glass being materials heaters are constructed of that are ok for saltwater. I'd find out straight from the manufacturer, and if they say freshwater only, you can raise hell with liveaquaria, because if the manufacturer says no, then liveaquria is most certainly misleading its customers.

Well, that's just it... the box says "STAINLESS STEEL" in big letters and also says "Safe and reliable for both fresh and salt water"

It's made by "CommodityAxis" and is a ViaAqua 200s. Unfortunately their website is pretty lame and provides nothing more than a screenshot of their flier.

As far as stainless steel caroding in salt water... I used to work for a company that manufactured special order stainless steel parts and equipment. Mostly for hospitals and food manufacturers. I can tell you that pure stainless steel is extreamly inert and would never carrode. But, there is no such thing as 'pure' stainless steel. There will always be impuritys. Our stuff was 99.99% stainless steel... but that came at a price. A Single 1" 90 degree elbo was around $50. So expensive that each part came individually rapped in cotten and plastic case. My boss told me once that most stainless steel cookware was less than 90% pure and that's why it would carrode after years of use.

Ok, I called Drfosterssmith and asked. The guy checked with his boss and then said "I have a memo right here that says: Please disregard freshwater only warning in the included instructions. Commodity Axes has assured us that this was simply a misprint and the device is both Fresh and Salt water safe."

I said "So I'm not going to get electrocuted?"
the sales guy said "No sir. You should give us a call if you have a problem."
I said "Well, if I'm dead I may not be able to."
Sales guy said "You shouldn't have a problem sir, I have a memo."
I said "Ok, I'll trust you, but if I end up dead I'm gonna be pretty ticked off."
:evil:

By the way, Despite all my problems with the delivery, Dr Foster & smith's staff has been very friendly and professional. Also, they are open quite late. I do the same sort of work and I'm impressed with the quality of their phone support.

I dunno about this deal. I'd be very cautious with using that heater in SW. I think the danger of you being electrocuted is no more than it would be with any other heater, but I would watch closely for corrosion. It's hard for me to believe they can sell these heaters for the price they're selling them and have a high enough grade of stainless to resist corrosion in a SW environment. If it does, I'd call that fella back and...well...maybe give him a memo of your own. :mrgreen:

Pain Devine said:
I said "Ok, I'll trust you, but if I end up dead I'm gonna be pretty ticked off."

OMG

I laughed so hard at that I woke up everyone in the house!! LMAO!

YEaaaa Greeatt did you get the Memo about the TPS Reports?

You need a fax cover sheet now...yeeaa. For the record i wouldnt use via aqua heaters. Won, Jager or Tronic. Visitherm as a last resort.

Yeeaaahh, I'm gonna need you to come in tomorrow... and yeah... I'm gonna need you to come in Sunday, too.

Pain Devine said:
I said "So I'm not going to get electrocuted?"
the sales guy said "No sir. You should give us a call if you have a problem."
I said "Well, if I'm dead I may not be able to."
Sales guy said "You shouldn't have a problem sir, I have a memo."

LOL, that is hilarious, I running the scenario through my head and I can only picture you saying this with a dead straight face :biglol:

Unless it is titanium or glass i would not use it. Commodity axis also makes rio pumps so there track record is not that great. The small amount a new heater costs is pennies compared to dead rock and coral.

Have you seen my stapler!

Back
Top Bottom