Heater temp at 82 HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxnonamexx

Aquarium Advice Freak
For some odd reason my temp is at 82 and has been that way over night which I unplugged the heater to have the temp drop a lil since it is a reef. What can I do to drop the temp? Thanks.

If you have salt water ready, do a water change with cooler (not cold) water. I would recomend adding the cooler water slowly as to not shock anything.

You could float sealed (i.e. ziploc) bags of ice in the water. You didn't say how big your tank is. If it's large, this probably wouldn't be very practical.

I have a 55gal. I did a 10% water change with cooler water still no change it has been 2 hours.

82 is not bad. I actually like mine at 80-82. A big swing would not be good though. Just try to bring it down slow. My tank is 81.2 right now :)

Mine is high too and I am looking for a chiller, being in Fla I have many months of hot weather and I doubt fans will cool it down enough. of course mines at about 84 :(

putting a fan on the top to blow across the water will reduce temperature through evaporation...which means you'll need to increase freshwater top-offs, probably to twice daily (morning and evening) to reduce big changes in salinity.

Nothing wrong with 82. I have had mine as high as 83.5...not ideal but nonetheless it has been this high. Also I keep mine around 80-82 all the time.
And yes get a small fan to blow across the top of the water and it will drop it by at least 2 degrees..

Back
Top Bottom