Heaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nels22

Aquarium Advice Activist
what wattage of a heater would you recommend for a 46 gallon tank. I was thinking about getting two small submersible heaters, but don't know what size i should be getting. thanks for the advice.

I think the general rule is something like 5 watts per gallon, but this is variable depending on what the tank temp is compared to the room temp.

so atleast 230 watts, would that be both of them combined or individually, the tank will be around 10-15 degrees warmer than the room it is in.

any brand better than others??

I have a 250w for my 46g bow. I bought the Pacific Coast titanium. It's kept my tank at a steady 79.5f and the room temp has fallen to 62f in recent days. Your other option is to go for 2 150's if you have someplace to put them.

Ebo-Jager heaters (if you can find them at non-insanely marked up prices) are very reliable. They're the old fashioned glass tube type, but the thermostat doesn't stick, and is accurate to the +/- 0.5F they claim.

Its probably safe to say that for every brand of heater, someone says they're terrible/killed their tank/causes global warming/etc. Just stay away from PetsMart "Proquatics" heaters! :)

maybe i'll just go with a 250 watt, is submersible better than a hob? i probably need the room in my tank because i have 4 inches of sand, and am planning on putting 80 lbs of lr in there...waiting for my ro/di filter to come in so i can start mixing water :D :D :D . then the long process of cycling. can't wait.

another quick question, would a 100 watt cheap heater be suficient to put in the tub along with a powerhead when mixing saltwater overnight?

thanks for the help you guys have been great :D :D :D

Only go for submersible. The heater should claim on the packaging that it is submersible. It makes me feel a lot better if I drop it in, etc. The Ebo's also have a low-water sensor (so they don't heat up to a bajillion degrees and shatter/burn you when the tank/sump level drops). Its one of those "nice feature, worth having" kind of things.

A cheapo might me good enough for a tub of water, but definately not for your tank. I would still go with something nice though, just in case something happens to one of your others.

Please dont skimp on your heater. If you have a choice between two heaters and one is $10 more than the other then pick the more expensive one. Heaters are one thing where you DO get what you pay for. Spending an extra $10 on a better heater can easisly save you hundreds of dollars should the cheper one fail due to shotty construction or the use of cheap parts.

theatrus said:
Its probably safe to say that for every brand of heater, someone says they're terrible/killed their tank/causes global warming/etc.

That's me! I had a regular viso-therm which stuck and boiled my 6gal holding tank.

Ebo-Jager are good heaters.

It's ok to submerge the heater completely in water. It is not ok to have any part of the heater that is below the marked line to be out of the water.

Gatorfreak said:
The instructions that came with the heater say not to immerse below the marked water level line. :(
Those intructions are forced upon them by US and Canadian government regulations. It basically comes down to politics but there is no reason it cannot be fully submerged, they're great heaters.

Cheers
Steve

how about a pro-heat titanium, 250 watt, i like they way they look, and they seem really simple with an external temperature control setting, any thoughts??

I emailed MarineDepot (where I bought it). Here was their response:
"These heaters are actually fully submersible. The reason for the water line is so that they can receive the UL-listing."

So I guess I can dunk it all the way under now. :D

i found the best heater ive ever used is the WON PRO HEAT TITANIUM heater, it has an outside temperature control, and is titanium so it is virtually indestructible, i got mine on ebay for about 20 dollars and its a 250 watt, worked perfectly in my 55 gallon tank, very accurate

i found the best heater ive ever used is the WON PRO HEAT TITANIUM heater

As Klam stated, everyone has a different opinion on heaters.

I had a Won Pro for about six months. Then all of a sudden, one day I went to check my tank temperature and it was around 87 degrees. The darn thing "stuck" in the on position and would not turn off unless unplugged. I called up Won Pro and they wanted me to, literally, do surgery on the thing to get it going. He wanted me to test leads on the circuit board, and tweak this and that instead of just replacing it. Also, they don't speak english very well since they are oriental so they are real hard to understand over the phone. I was the biggest proponent for Won heaters until this problem.

I bought a visitherm and never looked back. It has performed flawless since.

will be getting two anyways....need one for sw mixing, i just purchased a pro-heat, hopefully it won't get stuck...but with the room that tank is in fluctuating so much in temp i thought the external control setting would be a better investment....i think for the sw mixing heater i will go with an ebo-jaber

Back
Top Bottom