Heating advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Needles15

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have issues with my heat dropping low during the winter months here in ohio.. So before winter even comes I want to have this solved.. I have a 75gal 48"x24" .. I have tried using 2-3 smaller submergible heaters and they don't seem to be able to keep up.. Just wondering if anyone has any tricks or tips how to keep it steady.. I also do not have a sump, I have a hydor canister filter.. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Get a heater rated for 100 gallons that what I did. I live in northern indiana so I know what youre dealing with. My house drops to 55 in the middle of winter and the heater always keeps mt tank at 80

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

how many watt heaters do yo run now? if there like 100 watt heaters thats your problem
I'm in colorado and run 2 150 watt heaters rated for 100g each in my 90g
I keep 1 set 5* lower than the other as a back up
in winter I maintain 80* and we get pretty cold here
my house we basically run fire place for heat along with 1 or 2 space heaters
the house temp is about 72* steady
we don't run the furnace unless it is really needed which is seldom if any

Where do you find a 150watt heater rated for 100 gallon lowest I can find is 250watts

What is the brand

Yes I have 2 100w heaters in there now and they can't keep up.. So you guys are suggesting I keep multiple heaters just get a bigger wattage ??

Some people keep two one 5 degrees lower than what you want your tank at so if the one set where you want you tank at fails your tank doesn't get to cold. I only run one.

the nice part about 2 heaters if the tank gets cold even if the one heater is set on a lower temp it will kick in helping the other to catch up especially in winter months

Any certain brand everyone agrees on?

I've had great luck with Fluval heaters. I have two 300W on my 180g. I was using Marineland on my 90g but they would fail every 3 to 4 months. I've had a 300W Eheim on it for a year (bought it as my last Marineland died on a Sunday night) and my temperature is 80.1F year round.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

My fluval 300w works great on my 90 gallon. Got a cheap one before that and it was awful. I like the idea of 2 heaters but only have 1 and that works great only fluctuates by .5 at night.

Okay thank you all!

Back
Top Bottom