Help! 4 different nitrate results!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

armyman16

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 75 gal tank that has been cycled for about 2 weeks but has no livestock except for a few hermits and snails
But I went to test the nitrates today and I have 3 different test kits these are the results and te brands of the test kits:
1999 Aquarium Pharmaceuticals inc. 10 ppm
2006 API saltwater master test kit. 20 ppm
2008 API freshwater master test kit. 0 ppm
Retested again with the API freshwater and got 10-20 ppm
All taken from the same side of the tank, i would like to know which one can be trusted most and which ones if any I should throw away

The youngest one is 4 years old. I would toss them all and buy a new kit. They arent that expensive.

You have to shake a bejesus out of the nitrate tests to get good results. And not just a couple of good shakes, but rather a minute or so of fairly violent shaking.

bigben2057 said:
I believe those are just copyright dates for the brand and not the actual manufacture date.

I would be sure of that. If they are that old. You will never get an accurate reading. Save yourself some trouble and pick up a salifert nitrate kit for bout 20 bucks. Great test kit.

Thanks everyone for the inputs, but I think I'm going to take a water sample to my lfs and take a water sample for me at the same time and see which one matches with theirs and see IF any are still good

If their is a small c in a circle next to the date you are looking at that the copyright date my brand new nitrate test has the copyright date of 2006 on it to also aquarium pharm...

I'd do what Schism told you and get a salifert test kit don't rely on the api the salifert is way more acurate

From API customer service:

Each reagent bottle has a Lot # printed on the bottle. The last four digits are the month and year of manufacture. Example: Lot # 28A0102. This is a pH reagent manufactured in January of 2002.

Pond Care Wide Range pH, ammonia, High Range pH, Nitrate, phosphate, Copper, calcium and GH all last for three years. nitrite and KH will last for four years. Freshwater pH(low range) and Pond Care Salt Level will last for five years.

Liquid Nitrate Test Kits from any manufacturer can have a common problem with their last test solution. For us it is bottle number 2. One of the ingredients wants to solidify out of liquid solution. If the test bottle sits for any period of time, this can happen. If this does happen and the test is performed without Bottle # 2 mixed properly, then you can get a falsely low reading. I have never heard of falsely high readings with Nitrate Kits.

I would try tapping your Bottle # 2 a few times on a table or counter top. This should loosen-up anything that has solidified. Then I would shake this bottle for about 2-3 minutes, to really mix it up. Try the test again and hopefully this will fix your problem. With regular weekly usage, this bottle should only need to be shaken for 30-60 seconds.

Always check results at the recommended duration of time. Letting the tubes sit longer can result in falsely high levels."

Hope this helps!

Yes! That helps a bunch! Well all my salwater master test kit solutions end in 0308 so I probably won't be keeping those
But my freshwater ones are 0310!
So they are from 2010! And I think the longest time I left my nitrate bottle #2 sitting was a month or so, so this should be fine to but I will give it a good tap and a long shake
Freshwater test kits can be used on saltwater right? Just different color cards?

I agree! My Phosphate kit (only API kit) is from 2007. Time for a new one, thanks for the info! Been testing 0 for years, hahaha

Back
Top Bottom