HELP! Eel trouble!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmmiller

Aquarium Advice Regular
On Saturday I bought a small snowflake eel. He was swimming around for all night but when I woke up the next morning he was no where to be found. I asked the guy at my lfs where he could be and he said that he was probably hiding in my lr. Well I still couldnt find him so I decided to move the rock around and I still didnt find him. Long story short, he was in my overflow box for my wet/dry filter. He lived for 2 days in there!! He is in the tank and doing fine now but my question is how can I prevent this from happening again? I read on another forum that I could use pantyhose over the slots but when I tried this it slowed down the flow into my filter and messed the whole system up. Any suggestions will be helpful.

Thanks!

Nevermind, Ive decided that the eel is not worth the trouble and I am going to return him to my lfs. Last night he ate my maroon clown(this fish was a part of the family and we were very upset to lose him). :( I knew that eels may eat smaller fish but I didnt think that he would eat my clown because the clown was 2x the size of the eels mouth. Oh well, I guess you learn from your experiences.

jmmiller said:
Nevermind, Ive decided that the eel is not worth the trouble and I am going to return him to my lfs. Last night he ate my maroon clown(this fish was a part of the family and we were very upset to lose him). :( I knew that eels may eat smaller fish but I didnt think that he would eat my clown because the clown was 2x the size of the eels mouth. Oh well, I guess you learn from your experiences.

wow.. I'm glad I didn't buy that eel. I was pretty close and ended up getting the hawaiian lobster instead. He's been behaving himself so far... :roll:

Yeah the thing that they don't tell you is that their mouth is 4x the size when opened that it is when closed because of their hinged jaw. Sorry for the loss of your fish. I've become quite attached to all of mine and just the thought of a loss makes me shudder.

Some snowflakes are vicious like the one u had , and some are more peaceful , it all depends on the specific eel , for example my snowflake has been with my damsels tomato clown and royal gramma for 2 months and hasnt shown a bit of interest in them , i put goldfish in there and he goes right after them , its crazy becouse the goldfish are about the size of the damsels ,

Sorry for your lost :cry:

unlucky there, sorry about your loss,i have x2 zebra morays and x1 snowflake.. my snowflake is in my 300 litre tank with a colossal amount of fish ranging from a royal dottyback (smallest) to a blue tang (largest) he is the best eel because he is trained on dead whitebait and he has never had a go at any of my fish..! i guess i got the pick of the litter!

Back
Top Bottom