Help Hair algae ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kopitar

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys

My tank has been running for over a year now and i never had a problem before with my water. I noticed in the last 2-3 weeks some sort of brown-green algae accumulating slowly slowly but now its starting to spread everywhere. Can someone tell me what it is on the pictures ? I did more water changes in the last month to try and eliminate it but it didnt help. Iv read on forums that i could bring up the magnesium to 1600 to eliminate hair algae would that help me in my case ?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389761528.457911.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389761548.540960.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389761562.140142.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389761588.140259.jpg

My water test
PH 8.0
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5.0
Magnesium 1380
Salt 1.025

Check phosphates. Are you using rodi water for water changes and top off?

I dont have a phosphate test kit...
Yeah i use RODI but i think my filters were due to be changed (1 year)

What can i do beside water change ?
Will magnesium to 1600 help ?

You need to test your water, its likely a phosphate issue as stated. You need to check the TDS of the water coming out of your RODI, if you are putting phosphates in when you make up new water no amount of water changes will get rid of it. So get yourself a phosphate test kit or meter, a TDS meter and figure out the water problem.

To get rid of the hair algae, you can pull it off with your fingers or hope the snails and tangs eat it. Ultimately you need to starve it and thats why having perfect water is so important.

My TDS meter indicates water coming in at 0ppm water comin out at 1ppm

Is that an issue ? I dont get it cause its brand new

Well that's definitely an issue. While I wouldn't worry much about 1 TDS, what you are saying is that your RODI is actually adding TDS. That would be bad if true, though I doubt it is true. It's highly improbable that you are actually getting 0 TDS from the tap. Your TDS meter is probably faulty. Borrow a meter and recheck it. You might find that your TDS are very high.

Yeah my tds meter that came with my rodi unit / water coming in shows 0 water comin out fluctuates between 0 and 1

Thanks for the help ill try the Kent magnesium liquid

Back
Top Bottom