Help! Low pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GTfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 37 gal FOWLR set up has been running for over a month. I did a 12 gallon water change after it cycled, and it continues to show signs of green and brown algae growth. Tank parameters are below:

Temp: 81
Salinity: 1.026 sg (adding fresh RO/DI to lower)
ph: 7.7-7.8
Nitrates: 12 mg/L
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0

I have a two inch ls bed and 50 lbs of lr, and I am using oceanic salt w/ RO/DI water. Tank inhabitants include 5 crabs, and a ton of hitchhikers from my lr. Does the ls/lr not provide enough buffering capacity? I was hoping to keep this tank almost all natural; do most people have to add buffering agents to keep their pH stable? Thanks alot!!

I've had experiences with high sg's like yours making my ph test not accurate, or the ph is really just low, but once I get the sg down to 1.0225-1024 the ph reads back at 8.0-8.2, so I'd get that sg under control and retest!!!

Note that I'm NOT an expert, I've just had this experience in the last few months.

low pH in a new aquarium can be common. Check the pH of new sw. If it checks out fine then do another water change

plans..

dKH is at 6.0, and I don't have a Ca test kit at the moment. pH continues to hover at 7.7, with all other tank parameters constant as listed above. I am thinking about making a drip system and using Mrs. Wages pickling lime (I'm a college student- rather low on funds). Since the pickling lime is a balanced additive, is it still necessary to test for Ca levels? Thanks for your help.

Assuming your SW tests fine after mixing, I would go ahead and do some water changes to bring everything back in line.

Re: plans..

GTfish said:
Since the pickling lime is a balanced additive, is it still necessary to test for Ca levels? Thanks for your help.
Even though limewater is a balanced additive, it does not mean the chemistry within the tank is balanced or will remain so. It is dangerous to dose anything without being able to test all sides of the equation. I would definately follow Atari's advise, as long as the saltmix tests up to par, I'd rely moreso on that than chem additions. If you get a Ca test then you could go from there and decide if kalk will work.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom