Help me build a hospital

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soupy11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,
I have to build a quick teardownable hospital tank.

I read the article located on this very website but it does not mention how often water changes are needed or what kind of biological filter to use. Do you need to add some substrate into the sponge filter? Or can you do partial water changes every other day/third day to cover the waste build up?

There is no mention of water movement. Do you need a powerhead in a QT tank? Thanks for any help.

For a hospital tank, you want no substrate and no live rock. It'd be a good idea to paint or tape paper to the bottom of the tank, on the outside, so the fish won't get stressed.
Put PVC pipe pieces inside the tank to provide hiding spaces.

I'd use a hob filter, like an aquaclear, so you can seed the filter media in the main tank for a couple of days before hand (if possible).
You'd want/need some water movement, but it doesn't have to be a 10 x per hour turnover since there's no live rock/corals, etc. plus less movement could be beneficial to the fish, allowing them to rest a little without fighting the current.

Dont see why you couldnt use the CC to see but once you use it in your hospital tank, if you treat that tank with any meds the CC will have to be thrown out. If you use a HOB filter (like biowheel) throw the wheel in the sump for a week and or a spounge for seeding...lot easier. Just make sure you have a lot of PVC in there for the fish to hide in.

Also, water changes will depend on your ammonia and nitrite levels. They will have to be monitored daily.

Ok thats great guys. I think I am going to pick up a cheap 10 gallon package - $69 canadian with hob filter/light/canopy/heater etc.

Just fyi....and this may not be feasible but a 20 gallon would be a little better in that the water stability will be better. i was going to use a 10 as well but the price difference was so little that i went with a 20...just a thought....its a lot easier to keep a 20 stable than a 10.

Ok thats a great thought, thanks fishman....I was just thinking that I might go to a lfs that has some used tanks/equipment. Anything to watch out for there? Obviously copper use is not a big deal but are there any pitfalls to used tanks? (other than the water leaking all over my basement floor!)

as long as you give the used tank a good cleaning, and check the seals it should be a fine QT tank. Heck they might even have a new tank that's scratched taht you could get for a steal.

Also you mentioned copper...if you put a fish in there that HAS ick or comes down with it, you will more than likely treat it with copper anyway....unless you do hypo..like malkore said maybe you can steal a tank from a LFS by finding one they really want to get rid of...Good luck! 8O

Back
Top Bottom