help me decide what to get next plz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonathan G.

Aquarium Advice Freak
k i have a 75g tank about 40lbs of live rock and plan on adding about 60 more. my first fish was a pair of 2 baby O. clowns, then i added my adorable lawnmower blenny, then my beautiful 6 line wrasse, and this last friday i added my magnificent rainford (court jester) goby. i also have a big purple feather duster and a handful of hermits and snails and one half dollar size horseshoe crab aka "frank the tank". i'm thinking ill get the live rock before i add anymore but im talking about live stock after i get the live rock. any suggestions are welcome and very appreciated. anything you got that you wish you would have gotten something else in its place?

be very careful adding more live rock. You must be certain it's 100% cured before you add it, or you could throw the tank into another cycle and harm the fish.

i wouldn't add any more livestock until you get your live rock up to at least 1lb per gallon of water (75lbs or more).

Sorry to say but horseshoes are one that should be avoided. 75 gallons would not have enough sandy area to maintain a horseshoe crab for long. Unless your tank is well established he is already exhausting the fauna in the sand. Flame scallops are another one to avoid. they have a short life span (3-4 years) and are usually 3-4 years old when you see them in the lfs.

should i kill it? if so how should i? it doesn't seem that harmful and i dont have a dsb. what do they eat that will damage my sand bed? this guy stays buried for most of the day and only comes out for part of the night and spend most of his time scuttling around the ground and catching flight using my powerheads.

Don't kill it, he's small still but he will get bigger (2 feet at maturity). Horseshoe crabs are not harmful, they just eat alot. They won't damage your sand bed sorry if you got that impression. They eat worms and organic material in the sand and most tanks are not big enough to supply it with enough food.

I personally like firefish and royal grammas myself. But most people would probably be bored to death with my 3 favorite fish. O. Clowns, royal grammas, and firefish.

I have small tanks so it is good that I like small easy to maintain fish.

You should be able to get away with a yellow tang.

Some years back I had my 38 gallon setup with 2lbs (lol yes 2lbs) of LR, a big rock from the LFS, CC, tronic heater, aquaclear 300, and an emporer 280. With media and biowheels. I cycled the tank with a bunch of mollies. That tank did great somehow. I had 2 percs, 1 royal gramma and a yellow tang. I am not sure why I sat and typed this...maybe I am really tired.

Back
Top Bottom