Help me improve flow for sps - lots of questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saberry

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK, I've got my new lights and would now like to start working to improve my flow before I get too far into sps.

Here's what I currently have on my 75 gallon (48.5x18.5x21):
3 maxi-jet 1200's, 1 maxi-jet 900. Two pumps on each end pointing diagonally toward the center.

Budget $150 or so

What I'm considering:

I've been thinking about getting a Tunze Turbelle Stream 6060 and maybe running that with one or two of my maxi-jets. (or should I just lose the maxi's?)

I've also just started looking into the Seio Superflows. These are considerably cheaper than the Tunze, so I could get a couple of the m1100's or m1500's. Is the flow pattern from the Seio's similar to the turbelles (more diffuse and not as directional as maxijets) or is there just no comparison?

What combination is going to give me the best overall flow in my tank? BTW, I have crushed coral so I'm not worried about sandstorms.

Any suggestions are appreciated, including those I may not have considered providing they fall withing my budget.

Also, please give placement suggestions to go with your recommendations.

TIA!

Wouldn't know where to start w/o seeing your tank. The way I have mine on my 60 are in the back, pointed to the front top. I have a sump pump going into 4 return lines that are connected to a SCWD unit. This creates alternating current & causes my coral/fish to sway back and forth. IMO this is PLENTY of water flow.

I'm sure others will pipe in with more info. :D

Hey Rob can you post a pic of your SCWD in action? I have been thinking about adding a Mag7 that I already own and one of these SCWD to the tank. Just extra flow straight from the sump. The overflows are way underused right now as it is.

Update: I ordered two of the Seio 1500's. This, along with my filter return and some combination of my existing maxi-jets should provide enough flow for an sps tank.

saberry said:
Update: I ordered two of the Seio 1500's.
Sean,

Let me know how you like them, I've been thinking of picking up a few myself. I have heard good things about them so far.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom