Help me pick reef safe beautiful fish for my 80 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtneyclv

Aquarium Advice Activist
Right now my tank will be FOWLR. I may get corals and anemone depending on my lighting situation.

(off the subject but right now I have 60 watts total..VERY bright room a lot of natural light...are there low light corals/mushrooms I can get?)

The fish I like are tangs, angels, butterflys, rabbitfish. I know they arent reef safe though. I also do not want another 'ich' magnet.

Any suggestions on my 80 gallon?

Kole tangs are reef safe and pretty as are yellow tangs. Mushroom corals,zoo`s and polyps are good medium light corals. So many choices so little $$$$

melosu58 said:
Mushroom corals,zoo`s and polyps are good medium light corals. So many choices so little $$$$

good started corals, but still need to tripple your current WPG before you should consider any.

As for fish check out my stocking list on "my info" profile all are hardy and reef safe (long nose more or less). They have done well for me.

HTH,

So a coral beauty angel is reef safe? Any larger angels or just dwarf ones.

I heard that tangs are 'ich' magnets..any that arent and can be together with another tang?

Well, no angel is truly reef safe. It is a gamble, some are coral nippers and some are not. So far I have been lucky with my CB.

As for Tangs that would be suitable for your size tank I have had the best luck with yellow and purple as far as being ich resistant. Every other tang I have ever had seems to have had ich at on point or another.

With an 80g tank I would not suggest more than 1 tang. Your tank is unique and does provide adequate swimming room for a tang so you could probably get away with 2 different species I think anymore would be pushing it. Another thought would be a small school of 3 yellow tangs, but there are so many species of SW fish that will be compatible with your setup I would not think you would want to double up on the same species.

When picking fish do not look at current size, but how big can they get. I have 7 fish in my 90g and it is a flurry of activity with the fish and other inverts.

HTH,

Back
Top Bottom