Help My silicone is dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChiTownRomeo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Was doing a water change on this aqueon 55 gallon I have had up and running 9 years. Never moved it from the spot it's in. It's on a full stand and leveled since day 1. Today after the 20% water change, I noticed real small air bubbles in the right seam. From the top to the middle are these small bubbles. My paranoid mind has me nervous lol. The inside silicone has been chewed a little. You think its going to leak. Im kinda scared considering im on the 3rd floor apartment.
20220812-194337.jpg

20220812-194342.jpg

20220812-194501.jpg

Was doing a water change on this aqueon 55 gallon I have had up and running 9 years. Never moved it from the spot it's in. It's on a full stand and leveled since day 1. Today after the 20% water change, I noticed real small air bubbles in the right seam. From the top to the middle are these small bubbles. My paranoid mind has me nervous lol. The inside silicone has been chewed a little. You think its going to leak. Im kinda scared considering im on the 3rd floor apartment.
20220812-194337.jpg

20220812-194342.jpg

20220812-194501.jpg
Hello, it's just old. Aquariums usually need to be resealed every 10yrs. I've done it a few times & it's easy.
You need to move fish & all contents to another tank or a storage tote because it takes a couple of days(48hrs some say 24) for caulking to cure properly.
Scrape all caulking in corners & bottom on inside of tank but do not pull glass panels apart. Remove everything & clean w/acetone. Painter's Tape inside to be caulked & caulk whole tank at once.
I then dip finger in water & smooth out all caulked lines. Remove painters tape & let cure. The cleaning & caulking take a couple of hrs. The picture is a YouTube vid on how it's done. Hopefully this helps you!!!!!Screenshot_20220813-123531~2.jpg

Hello, it's just old. Aquariums usually need to be resealed every 10yrs. I've done it a few times & it's easy.
You need to move fish & all contents to another tank or a storage tote because it takes a couple of days(48hrs some say 24) for caulking to cure properly.
Scrape all caulking in corners & bottom on inside of tank but do not pull glass panels apart. Remove everything & clean w/acetone. Painter's Tape inside to be caulked & caulk whole tank at once.
I then dip finger in water & smooth out all caulked lines. Remove painters tape & let cure. The cleaning & caulking take a couple of hrs. The picture is a YouTube vid on how it's done. Hopefully this helps you!!!!!View attachment 323845
Its OK to post links to youtube videos as long its on topic and not promoting your own channel.

https://youtu.be/D_Meyb2JYCU

Hmmm I wonder could this be causing it. A few weeks ago my floor and stand got wet. Maybe it became uneven and causing too much pressure on the front glass..... Time to shim

20220813-151541.jpg

Back
Top Bottom