HELP OVERFLOW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

troutman11111

Aquarium Advice Freak
:( I NEED HELP FAST MYOVERFLOW IS 1/2INCH OVER THE LIP AND SHOULD BE 1/4 INCH SAYS THE MANUAL. TO CLOSE TO THE TOP OF THE TANK

Sorry man but i was el sleepo at the time you sent this message and the PM. Probably many other users where also.

Anyway I hope you did not have a flood and either stopped the sump and overflow until today or got it taken care of.

What lip are you talking about? What kind of overflow is this? Do you have a RR (Reef Ready) tank with a built in overflow or is this a hang on overflow?

Do you know the ratings of the overflow and the ratings of the pump your using?

What pump are you using?

What is your head height?

There are many more ?'s that I could ask but this will get us started. All of these items are important things to know when trying to help troubleshoot your overflow.

If its a hang on the back style overflow you should be able to adjust the height of the inside portion of the overflow box. The closeness to the top of the tank is all a mater of preference. Some people natually run their tanks fuller than others. The key it so make sure that your overflow is keeping up with the pump and not slowly over filling the tank. If you watch the water level for 15 min you should see it remain consistant. If your slowly seeing it rise (usualy the only way I can tell this is if I can watch it make contact with the cross supports and then the tank frame) Then your pump is overpowering the overflow.

If the water level is consistant then its fine.

If your talking about a RR tank then I will have to differ to other members as I have never had a RR tank.

help overflow

problem fixed, have a cpr siphone overflow 300gph, directions said a venture pump was not nessary& i could just plug it up after i sucked the tube on top of the overflow to get it started, wrong, wrong, wrong the water went to the top of tank. had to shut it down. of course murphy came knocking at 3:00a.m. at 6:00a.m. iwent to bed till7:00a.m. work... must use ph on this overflow, i got it set up now so if power fail just emtys tank to the lip (or the part where the water goes in. hang on type. 1/8 inch over the lip v.s. 1/2+ inches you can see the water bending down into it. thanks so much for your concern. :p

that is teh exact reason I dont like CPR units. They should not need a powerhead to keep the syphon.

Troutman,

Murphy ALWAYS knocks at rude times! Don't feel alone. =]

Glad you were able to resolve your problem. You are that much wiser! Continued good luck.

I wonder of anyone has a particularly wet story to fess up to. My worse, thus far, is dropping the inflow tube to the floor. I quickly retrieved it (and reoiled my floor!).

Sue

Wet Story

I have a CPR spill over to a cpr wet/dry(that I removed the bail and am using as sump. When I first set it up I got everything running syphon was sucking and little gaint was pumping.. I wanted to adjust a few things so I cut the power thinking that everything would stop. Well the return pump stopped but the syphon didn't 8O . I didn't notice untill a few second later when the sump started to overflow. I got a little wet luckily there was a pile of clean towels(that I was supposed to be folding and not playing with my tank) in the room. I learned 2 things
1. What happens if the power goes out.
2. That I needed to adjust water levels in sump so it would not happen again
I have it now so that if the pump goes out the sump will not flood and if the syphone breaks and the pump empties my sump the tank will not overflow. Sometimes little accidents will teach you how to avoid Big accidents in the future :)

Back
Top Bottom