Help!!! Possible Pin Hole Leak 100gal Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kle5701

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

I have been a wall flower on this website for over a year now. I have read almost every postings. A pending emergency has forced me to registrar and plead for help/advice from the community experts.

My 100 gal salt water tank has been running for about 3 months now. The tank was a used tank. Recently, I noticed some salt creep on the outside of my tank near the bottom (where the side panels are). It is creeping out from the side panel. The creep is steady, showing up about 3-4 days after I wipe it down every times.

Is there any way to salvage this aquarium without emptying everything inside. I have worked on this tank for almost a year now; it has been both rewarding and very frustrating at time.

Please help!!!!!!!!!

Are you 100% sure that it has a leak??

Do you have lights or filters up top that can and will condensate and drip?

Also water can travel down power chords and drip....

BTW.....WELCOME OFFICIALLY TO AA!!!!!! :smilecolros:

Can you post a pic of exactly where it is coming from?

If it is coming from a joint you can add silicone to seal it up....

Is there a way to add silicon while there is water and stuff in the tank? My tank is creeping at the top around the black brim. Is there anything i could hurt by taking some water out, re sealing the brim letting it cure and filling it back up?

The only thing you will hurt is anything that would be out of water of course. Other than turning some coraline white you should be good to go.

How far will you need to drain it? The way it sounds just an inch or so correct. If so drain, seal, cure, fill!!! :D

Disclaimer::::: If the leak is at a seal and it is a very small HOLE (not crack) you should be fine. If you have a crack, then you should replace the pane of glass or the whole tank.

leaky 100gal salt water

I am afraid it is a leak. I have nothing that would cause drip to the front side panel. I have gone through period of not even opening the front cover to test where it is coming from.

The salt appears to be coming from inside of the side panel. I am at work and cant take a picture, though I dont think my phone camera has the res/macro capability for this.

One option I am considering is to remove the front bottom panel and reseal it. However, if it is a leak, being on the bottom of a 100gal aquarium, I think the pressure is such that this problem will be getting progressively worse.

Thanks in advance...

However, if it is a leak, being on the bottom of a 100gal aquarium, I think the pressure is such that this problem will be getting progressively worse.

I would have to agree with you......

Maybe someone else will chime in.....

I had a similar problem, I thought it was evaporation and topped off the top inch for three days strait. Salinity dropped and all my inverts died, the ammonia spike caused all my fish to get sick and most of them died. Now I started a new tank and made sure that wont happen again.

I suggest trying a tank switch A.S.A.P, or keeping your fish/inverts at the LFS until you can plug it.

Salt will build up around the hole, look for that and you'll find the leak, if it is at the bottom you may not find it, and probably can't plug it.

Good luck
P.S check your salinity every day!!!

okay...anybody want some fish

Thanks for the input. It really sucks because I have spent so much time and money into this tank. Now I have to start all over again. I bought the tank used and did a reseal myself just in case. Lesson learn, dont buy used tank, always get new one.

Current have the following in my tank, which I hate to see go. If anyone is in the Austin, Texas area, reply to me. I will donate any of the following below.

3 damsel
1 clown
3 hermit (red leg)
1 emerald
2 turbo
1 yellow wrasse
1 peppermint shrimp
1 feather duster
1 group of green starburst polyps
3 green chromis

I am in Temple. How much do you want for the stuff in the tank?? Also if you want to sell the tank let me know. I need one for my lizard.

Mason

Dont give up! If you can get your hands on another tank soon, just swap your stuff out.

Maybe the lfs will hold some for you, or you could get a smaller/cheaper tank to put some of the livestock in till you upgrade.....

Back
Top Bottom