help! shrimp, crabs and snails dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tikiink2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
need some advice, new to forum, but i have a 6 gallon wall salt water tank. when i originally set it up, it had peppermint shrimp and lots of hermit crabs. they all slowly died. i figured it was their time. since then a couple months apart, i have tried to introduce new shrimp and crabs which have all died within 24 hours. i have acclimated them properly. also have had some snails die but some live, recently a conch and peppermint shrimp died within 24 hours but several other snails and 3 fish lived that were added at the same time. i had my water checked and he said it was perfect. thank you for any advice!

what is a 6 gallon wall?
crabs and shrimp will live for quite a while. none of the above mentioned died of old age.
have you ever added any copper based meds to the tank? ich meds? what kind of maintenance schedule are you on? what else is in the tank now?

i have a 6 gallon picture frame type tank so tall wide and narrow. i have not knowingly added anything with copper in it. the tank has been running for almost a year now and have never put in meds in it. i change the water with 1/4 water change every 3 weeks and add water to the tank from evaporation weekly. when i add water i also add stresszyme and amquel. i feed the tank every couple of days with a half cube of mysis shrimp. i have some corals but only a couple. if i have copper any way to chelate it out (get rid of it?). the last two additions i did right after a cleaning and there was a lot of sediment i thought that may be an issue?

Back
Top Bottom