help swapping to a bigger tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EVMIII

Aquarium Advice Regular
I took the plunge and have acquired a 125 to replace my 55. I seem to have out grown it. My problem is I need to set up the new tank in the same place the curent tank sits. I am not using the 55, I have a 30 to use as a sump. Here's my tentative plan, please let me know if you see fatal flaws or have a better idea.

Fill 4 plastic tubs from tank(about half way). Remove all live rock that does not have attached coral and place in a couple containers. Place remaining LR with coral attached and other corals into the other two tubs.
Fill spare 10 gl with water, use hob filter from 55 and add livestock for 1 small yellow tang, 2small clowns a couple small Turbo snals and a coral banded shrimp.
Fill 1/2 another container for large haddens carpet anemone. (Could be tricky) with small air pump
Move the tank

Assemble new tank, add new sand, add all the water from the 2 tubs with LR
Add remaining water Rod I. I'll fill all the containers I can in advance and fill directly from my Rod I unit. Add salt and heat water. This could take all day. Add live rock. Hopefully water will test OK.

Add anemone, add inverts, add corals, add fish, pray.

Plan to preheat and salt as much water as possible. Also plan to work straight through. I hope to use as much water from 55 as possible. I fully expect this to be a long painful process, but it will be worth it.

I am open to any thoughts or ideas from those more experienced. I a not afraid to admit that I'm a bit scared of this process. Thanks

I was scared too but it worked! I did 75g to 150g. Just make sure youll have enough water. Also, test the sump and make sure it runs before you put the livestock in. And put the sand and LR in when the tank is empty or half full to make sure you account for displacement. Sounds Good! GL!!!!!

Any reason why you don't want to use the 55 as a sump. More volume than a 30 gallon. Just a thought. Other than that it sounds like a good plan. I've had to move my 75 twice, it sucks lol.

When I went from my 55g to my 125g i just scootched the 55g over to another wall for a day while I assembled my 125g. I didn't wanna do the whole thing in just one day. Any way you could push the 55g out of the way for a day or 2?

Thanks for the advice. I'd really like to use 55 as a sump, but my concern is the delay it would cause in getting the new tank set up.( and it would take up almost all the space under the tank) I could get all the materials ready(plexi glass cut to size, silicone, etc.), but it will take a couple of days to prepare, set and test prior to use. If I use the 30 I can have it ready to go a soon as I get the new tank I place and plumbed.
I have considered trying to slide the tank, but I'm concerned my current stand is not up to it.

This brings up another question, if use my existing live rock (75lbs) and at least 30 gallons of my current tank water will the tank cycle again? Is it safe to add the livestock back once set-up?
Thanks for the help.

If you're going to bang it out in 1 day I don't think it will cycle. Its also mainly the LR you need. Using the water will mean you don't have to make as much but keeping your LR wet during the move is what will prevent another cycle. I would advise you to get all new dry sand and use a small amount from your current LS to seed it.

Both times I've moved my tank I did it all in one day, it sucks but I haven't had another cycle either time. Again just keep you LR in water and use new sand and you should be all set. (Using your old sand may cause a mini cycle)

Edit: the fact that you swap them in 1 day has nothing to do with the tank having another cycle or not. I just feel it helps me to set aside a day and get everything done. As carey and I stated, keeping the LR wet and putting it right into the new tank should keep it from cycling.

Using your existing rock will pretty much make sure you don't have to cycle again. I did however check my parameters for the first few days and had a slight ammonia spike no less. Kinda why i suggested you might be able to scoot the 55g to the side while the new big tank stabilizes. As for water, I didn't use any of my established water, most if not all the bacteria reside on actual surfaces rather than in the water itself. :)

carey said:
Using your existing rock will pretty much make sure you don't have to cycle again. I did however check my parameters for the first few days and had a slight ammonia spike no less. Kinda why i suggested you might be able to scoot the 55g to the side while the new big tank stabilizes. As for water, I didn't use any of my established water, most if not all the bacteria reside on actual surfaces rather than in the water itself. :)

Carey, do you just put the LR in then, no acclimating to new water? I'm assuming everything else even rock with coral is acclimated?

I set up the 125g and kept the 55g running. I moved almost all the rock over adn then over the next few days slowly added my corals. The last thing I added were the actual fish. I have most of my coral moveable only a few pieces were actually embedded onto the rock. I waited for the ammonia spike to go away before I moved anything of course and I think the ammonia spike was because I moved the sand and rock from my pod tank into my refugium. :-( I should have known better... lol

I would just add the rock. Acclimate corals, inverts, and fish in your normal way. The rock should be fine.

I am currently using crushed coral, but switching to sand in the new tank. Should I get some live sand from my LFS? I'd rather not put any of the old crushed coral in.

EVMIII said:
I am currently using crushed coral, but switching to sand in the new tank. Should I get some live sand from my LFS? I'd rather not put any of the old crushed coral in.

Yes use new sand. Carey can tell you what kind she got...lol. You don't need live sand, maybe one bag of it to seed the rest.

Don't buy the "live sand" in a bag from your LFS, its BS lol. Buy the dry stuff and just use a small amount of your CC to seed it.

img_1657968_0_9c402aed58a7e4d4d8e5726a7f098383.jpg

Update: got the tank moved today (finally). Only casualty was my coral banded shrimp, he made the fateful decision to try to hide under my carpet anemone in the transition tank. Fish and coral all seem to be doing well. Thanks for all the helpful advice. Now to the new 125, I have two 1 1/4 drain holes, bulkheaded goes into barbed style connection for a hose. Should I downsize these prior to the sump? Hoping to use as little PVC as possible. Any tank plumbers out there? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom