HELP, Tank leak!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjbaker

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I woke this morning to a rapidly emptying tank. I managed to rescue my fish, inverts and two corals which are now in a bucket. The live rock I have in another filled with water.

Will the rock stay ok without a pump and heater in?

Do you think my fish etc will survive for a day or two in the bucket?

Temperature will change pretty quick in the bucket without a heater. You need a heater and powerhead in there. If it is a 5 gallon bucket, I would suggest a rubbermaid tub or something larger. Small amounts of water will foul very quick.

Put in an air stone or powerhead with fish. If a powerhead be sure to point it at the surface to really keep the surface boiling for aeration. You may get some die off from the live rock if temp is not maintained with some flow but for most part it will be ok for few days.

Id advise mixing up a big batch of saltwater to have on hand. I would do small water changes in the bucket of fish about once or twice a day depending on water volume to keep the water unfouled.

You could also buy a large enough rubbermaid container to put all you fish and live rock in as a temporary tank. This water all your flow, heaters and even filtration can be used for all your stock, untill you get a new tank.

Thanks guys, I've moved them to a larger container now wit the heater and power head. I can't believe my luck! If I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck. I've been in touch with aqua one and they have agreed to send me a new tank over which should arrive in the next day or two.
Thinking ahead now, once the new tank is here do I need to do anything special or do I just mix a fresh batch of water up, fill it and put everything back in?
Now I'm back to the beginning I'm having second thoughts of a sand bottom. Has any of you guys gone with the bare bottom before now? Just thinking it may be easier to maintain this time round.

Bare bottom is extremely easy to maintain. It is not a problem unless you have borrowing or sifting fish/inverts that require a sand bed. Besides that sand is for visual awe in an aquarium. Deep sand beds are another story all together.

Barebottom will allow you to have a much cleaner tank and keep nitrates and phosphates minimal due to the fact you can see and siphon out all detritus and uneaten food during waterchanges very easily.

Also when you fill the new tank is best to use as much of the old water you have left with about 20% new saltwater.

Dumping the live stuff into all new fresh saltwater will be a shock due to the big sudden change and no acclimation.

Back
Top Bottom