Help tank overflowed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

epaz

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank malfunctioned and dumped several gallons of water on my floor. I'm in trouble guys this is on the wife's new carpet. My stand is solid on the bottom so I don't know how to get it dry underneath less draining the whole tank to be moved. Anyone have any experience or advice with a flood?

Maybe a carpet cleaner or something similar to suck up water out of carpet and pad. And fans to dry. Any staining? If so carpet cleaner for sure.

Good luck with the wife!

How big of a tank are we talking?

+1 on the fan get some towels sop up what you can then just set a fan blowing on it overnight just try not to point It at the tank

Depending where you live, you can rent industrial floor dryer fans at Home Depot. They work very well in carpet too!

Helped a friend a few months back similar situation, we used a rental carpet cleaner from rug doctor and that sucker pulled water out from under his stand. Worked great! He ended up breaking it down for an upgrade a couple weeks ago and had no mold and very little salt residue.

Thanks people! I do have a decent size Bissell carpet cleaner that I used around the tank and have been running fans all night. I'm just really worried about underneath and it molding. In a show of "hands" how many would drain and move the tank or just let it hopefully naturally dry?

I would drill a couple holes in the bottom and put a fan over one of them just to move a little air. Definitely wouldn't break the tank down.

Mold wont grow if it dries completely. There is more harm than good to dissemble.

I wouldn't break the tank down, just try to dry it as much as possible.

the only issue is the water underneath the tank... I previously had a tank sitting on carpet and a few spills went on the carpet now and again but cleaned it all nicely. but when I moved homes underneath the tank there was a big stain on the carpet... even called in a pro to try and clean it up but no luck. had to eventually replace the carpet.

Sadly guys I think I'm gonna have to drain and move the tank it's starting to smell funky in that room. I have a lot of coral in there any tips on how long I can keep them in storage totes while I do the cleaning? Mind you this could very well be a day long process as the carpet will have to dry before I can move the tank back into place and refill.

I would use that carpet cleaner or a shop vac to remove the water from the carpet. If you move the tank, put a sheet of linoleum or something under it so the general area is protected to some extent.

Well guys got it moved and carpet shampoed and dried amazingly enough the weight of the tank get water from seeping under if was bone dry so I only had the perimeter to clean. Took the opportunity to rearrange my rock and everyone seems happy. I do have a question though the tank itself didn't overflow my skimmer did it's HOB coralife 220g and this happened right after I cleaned my collection cup, has anyone heard of this happening after cleaning ones skimmer?

That happens with the coralife skimmers. Besides not skimming all that well they tend to overflow often. Probably the worst hang on style. IMO they should never be used as hang on skimmers because they don't work well with fluctuating water levels.

Yeah I got rid of my coralife quick stat. Thing was the most unreliable piece on my system. Maybe an upgrade in the future...

This happens with my coralife 65 on a somewhat regular basis, I believe it has more to do with the air intake hose getting clogged with salt crust, when the pump is only pulling water it overflows pretty quickly

Yeah your skimmer shouldn't get clogged on a regular basis. Maybe upgrade it change out your intake hides and work in keeping em cleaner. My 225 cloralife just would randomly spew over and dump everything on the floor. Got rid of that pos and picked up a bubble magus skimmer.

Yes guys I agree it will be the next upgrade oddly enough though it skims really well! I will check my air hose and monitor my water levels more closely. Again thanks guys

Back
Top Bottom