Help - Very Noisy and Very Cloudy!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrFLGuy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

I got that “modified wet/dry” up and running. :D

I am having a big problem with the noise that is coming from the overflow box. The hose that runs down to the wet/dry just keeps gurgling water from the overflow box? Seems like it’s trying to suck air. What can I do to quiet this down?

Also, it has been about 2 days since the filter has been on and the water still seems really cloudy. I did notice that the salinity was a bit high but not much. Could this be a factor? I only have sand (not live) in there now and haven’t put any rock in their since I wanted to get the filter going to clean some of that water.

Help Please!!!!

I am having a big problem with the noise that is coming from the overflow box. The hose that runs down to the wet/dry just keeps gurgling water from the overflow box? Seems like it’s trying to suck air. What can I do to quiet this down?

Do a search for durso or stockman overflows, I think the stockman is the ne for a hob overflow, it will quiet it right down ;)

Could be the sand clouding the water or a slight bacterial bloom, in either case as the tank runs and cycles it should clear up.

I carefully measured salinity of the water before adding to a new tank. When I finished adding the water, it was all cloudy. I then took a salinity measurement and it went up from 1.024 to 1.027. In a day when the sand settled, the sg was back to 1.024.

Does anyone have any pics of the "stockman overflows"?

I checked out that how-to online but I am not sure where it goes? Do I stick it directly in the hose that goes down to my sump? Also, am I still using the u tubes with this?

BTW - I decided to turn the pump off for now until I put my base rock in tomorrow since i'll need to take some water out anyway.

Thanks again!

If the water was not completely mixed and was causing the cloudiness...(or was calcium precipitation) it would be advisable to keep mixing it, but if the base rock is dry rock and not the LR base rock from liverocks.com (or other vendor) then it really doesn't matter.

The stockman overflow will fit into your bulkhead in the rear portion of your overflow, and yes you will still use the J/U tubes to get water from the front compartment and the rear compartment.

These don't show it in operation...but here are some pics
http://images.google.com/images?q=stockman+overflow&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search

Back
Top Bottom