Help! What is this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seaflowerkitty

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone. I have a 12 gallon saltwater reef tank that I have had for almost two years. It's been a journey of ups and downs:fish2:. I noticed last month that I have something covering some of my live rock and wondered what it is and whether I should be concerned or not. It's kind of a light pink or beige-ish.... It is hard and doesn't scrub off with a toothbrush. It's taking over some zoanthids... I've been told it's sponge, but it doesn't seem to be like the pictures of sponge that I've seen around.... Input would greatly be appreciated.

Attachments

• P1090241.jpg
    P1090241.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 120
  • P1090291.jpg
    P1090291.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 132
Google " encrusting sponge" that's what it looks like to me and if so I would say your doing something right even if it is at the cost of a polyp or two

Google " encrusting sponge" that's what it looks like to me and if so I would say your doing something right even if it is at the cost of a polyp or two

Sorry Godfrey but what is he doing right exactly? I think I've got a bit of encrusting sponge as well, although mine is a purple lilac colour. I think I'm getting some black encrusting sponge on another piece of live rock.

i have a rock covered in bright yellow encrusting sponge, brightest thing in my tank, and it is growing 4-5 inches below 250MH

i have a rock covered in bright yellow encrusting sponge, brightest thing in my tank, and it is growing 4-5 inches below 250MH

That would look so cool! Can you send a pic if it? Would love to see. I wish mine was a brighter nicer colour like yours lol!

Sorry Godfrey but what is he doing right exactly? I think I've got a bit of encrusting sponge as well, although mine is a purple lilac colour. I think I'm getting some black encrusting sponge on another piece of live rock.

I tend to use the phrase "doing something right" as opposed to the phrase doing something wrong. In doing something wrong everything is usually dying but in doing something right new and interesting things pop up and for it to be something like a sponge which are mostly very good filter feeders I consider that to be a healthy Eco system... But don't take my word at it I am no expert

Back
Top Bottom