Help with a crab!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquinn425

Aquarium Advice Activist
My husband and I have had our 55 gallon tank set up for 3 weeks now. Live rock and live sand. In my latest batch of live rock from the local pet store, we have acquired a little crab. I figured he would not make it as our water parameters are not quite right yet. However, this afternoon when I got home from work I saw little "footprints" in the sand and tonight I found him! My question is now that I know he's made it- now 3 days- should we put anything in the tank to feed him? I like the little creature and don't want to lose him if possible!!!

You could always put a little bit of brine shrimp in there

Agreed. If you plan on setting up a reef, you need to ID the crab before corals go in...... Many are not reef safe.

You could remove him and put him in another container like a medium sized tupperware. This will keep him safe and you can feed him all you want. lol :)

Might be a gorilla crab. Google pictures and see if it looks like yours. If it is, you will probably want to get rid of him. I had one that went after a cleaner shrimp. They will eat any thing they can catch.

Looks extremely close to a emerald crab, the fuzzly legs, green body and the face is perfect....not 100% but mose likely its a beneficial emerald crab to add to your CUC. GL

Looking at the pictures on google it does look more like an emerald crab. Will it eat my shrimp though?

Crabs aren't as fast as shrimp, so I wouldn't worry much about that, but corals are a different story. No crab is 100% reef safe. They are omnivores (they eat algae, and meat given the chance). Do you have a sump by any chance? You could put him down there and let him live out his life...

Back
Top Bottom