Help with Anemone!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thartsockpg

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had my long tentacle anemone for about a week and it still hasn't attached its foot to anything. all my parameters are good ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, pH 8. my lfs that i got it from says can exchange it for a new one or get store credit for something else. should i do that or give him another day?

When I got mine, I gently wedged it in a lil pocket on a rock in a medium flow area. It grabbed on in a matter of minutes. It moved about an inch from there and has stayed in that spot for a week so far. Wear a rubber glove, or saran wrap your hand and be very gentle. Hopefully this helps.

as long as your tank is established and the lighting is good and strong, he should be ok. mine moved around alot when i first got one. still does sometimes. just looking for the right spot.

Ooo... Yeah. I'd take him back. He may be in shock, but if he starts "shedding" a thick mucus around its stalk and/or he starts looking a lil leathery then he is dying.

How long has the tank been up and what type of lighting do you have over it?

Also, do you have a picture of the nem? That can help too! :)

Tank has been running since the very end of January, I have one t5 fixture with 1 39 actinic and 1 39 daylight on it.

ForumRunner_20120612_124121.jpg

ForumRunner_20120612_124131.jpg

ForumRunner_20120612_124149.jpg

Not enough lighting for an anemone, unfortunately. They do best with ALOT of light, like a four bulb fixture.

If it were me, I would swap him out for something else until you get the proper lighting.

Not enough lighting for an anemone, unfortunately. They do best with ALOT of light, like a four bulb fixture.

If it were me, I would swap him out for something else until you get the proper lighting.

+1

would also like to add they like a well established tank I wouldn't put one in a tank that was less than one year old.

I have some mushrooms and some zoas and they are doing great. The lighting is 1 39w actinic and 1 39w daytime light. Could I just get another fixture of the same lights?

Yep, you could get another 2 bulb fixture and be ok. That will open up the possibilties of getting more corals like LPS, hammers and the like. :)

Back
Top Bottom