help with diy mangrove roots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dingodan

Aquarium Advice Activist
i need help building artificial mangrove roots like seen in this picture. i want them to be roughly 24". what products, techniques, etc? i need them to be 100% reef safe and permanent. any suggestions are greatly appreciated. i been to all corners of the internet looking for manufactured ones i can buy and none look like the real thing or are large enough. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394990544.946309.jpg

I remember a post almost exactly like this. It even used that picture.

I suggested that you could use manzanita wood and just coat it with aquarium safe paint.

yea that post was probably me i still havent found a solution. i want these to be 100% reef safe inside and out so theres no risks. i think i can use a resin for the outer layer but i need something to use for a skeleton frame i can bend into the shape i want. (not metal wire)

You can use a hair dryer to heat up thin PVC pipe and bend it. And it will hold the shape when it cools

problem is 1/2" is the smallest pvc pipe you can get and thats inside diameter...good for some larger pieces but need smaller ones too

Not sure if you could get it hot enough with out it actually melting, but if you can get it hot enough that you could stretch the pipe I imagine it would get thinner

thatll work if i can ship to canada or find another supplier within canada. now i need to find an epoxy resin product that i can dye brown and coat the pipe in. maybe a putty too that i can add in some areas before coating

Back
Top Bottom