Help with feeding portions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
I always wonder if I am under feeding or not. When feeding frozen cubes like Forumula 2 or Mysis shrimp how much do you put in your tank at one feeding time? For example I have a 75-gallon reef tank with a maxed bio load of fish and will only put about 1/3 a cube of mysis at a time and maybe 1/3 of a cube of Formula 2 at a time. Then every other day when I don't feed either mysis or formula 2 I put a seaweed clip out.

What portion do you feed your tank in reference to frozen cubes, taking size into consideration? Thanks.

When I feed mysis, I thaw a whole cube (then rinse thoroughly). The entire cube is gone in about 2 mins...but I have some big fish. If all the food is eaten in a few mins, your not overfeeding.

I agree, you can usually tell if fish are under fed, as they will have sunken bellies.

Not really knowing what you have in the tank but you did say a maxed load of fish I would say one cube rinsed off would be OK. Everyother day with the seaweed on the off days is what I do also. Do you have some tangs. I cant seem to remember.

If most of the food is eaten in under 2 minutes, feed more. I add food slowly and let them chase it for a minute before adding more. I do this over a 5 - 10 minute period. When some/most of the fish stop going crazy after the food I stop. The rest that is already in the tank feeds the other critters. Any left over in the cup goes down the drain.

If most of the food is eaten in under 2 minutes, feed more. I add food slowly and let them chase it for a minute before adding more. I do this over a 5 - 10 minute period. When some/most of the fish stop going crazy after the food I stop. The rest that is already in the tank feeds the other critters. Any left over in the cup goes down the drain.

I use this exact same method. I turn off all powerheads/pumps while feeding also.

I do the same thing. I usually feed 3 cubes of mysis to my tanks (the 72 and the 55 3 between the tanks that is) I feed it slowly also I use a dropper to squirt some of the mysis into the tank and let the fish eat. AFter a few minutes I give them another shot. I keep doing that until they stop showing interest.

I have a 4" hippo tang a 4" powder brown tang and 2x 2" ocellaris clowns in a 75-gallon tank for the time being. I think maybe I have been underfeeding, judging by the various responses. I am going to keep up on the Seaweed Clip every other day and start feeding a little more, over a longer period of time, on the frozen cube day. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom