Help with live rock.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sehrhart

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 65gallon hex tank. With live rock a few fish and inverts. I hate this tank. So i have been looking for a 75 gallon on craigs list. Last night i found it a full saltwater 75 gallon reef tank drilled overflow everything i need even halid lights that is brand new. All for $150.

My question is im going to break down my 65 and put it in the 75 i have about50lbs live rock. The tank i just got has about 60lbs live rock the problem is he drained the water last night so the rocks have been drying out for a while. So what do i do with them? Do i clean them and set up 75 then cycle it before adding my stock and rocks from my 65? If i have to clean the rock then how? or what i was thing was set up the 75 add half my rock from the 65 and cycle that way.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Since the live rock has been out of the water for so long there is significant die off already. That rock should be cycled or cured in a tank separate from any livestock. :)

So I should clean and reset up the 75 and cycle then transfer my 65 over? Should I use a couple pieces of my live rock to seed my new tank?

I would just work with the newer live rock, how long was it not in the water totally? Did he have it wrapped in newspaper or anything?

What I would do is this: Put everything back in the 75 that came with it. Did it have sand too by the way? Anyways, have everything in the 75g fill with salt water and let it go. I would test everyday to see if there is a spike of ammonia or anything else. It could take a few days or a week or two I would think tops. The rock you got, even if it's bone dry will still have enough life left in it that it should bounce right back. :)

You do have an API testing kit right? For ammonia, trites and trates?

I would say abot 15 hours. The rock was still wet to the touch but not heavy and dripping. I did out it in a tote with saltwater,heater and a small pump.

And yes there is sand that is still wet however its filthy and i already have 40lbs of new crushed coral sand. I just figured i will replace it with the new.

And yes i have the api saltwater test kits.

Sounds like your set then. :) New sand can't hurt and will make it alot easier, at least in my opinion. lol

I would put everything back in the 75g and see where youre at. I wouldnt rinse the rock or anything either, unless there are chunks of nastiness or something like that. I think the rock wasnt out of water that long when you think about it so it should cycle like a normal tank just you won't need an ammonia source I bet as the die off from the rock should do it. Keep in mind when you order liver rock it's out of water for a day usually for shipping and that works out ok so I think this should be similar. :)

Thank You so much for your help.:flowers:

I knew it was going to be you that did.:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom